Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, its been along time since i visited the forum... almost posted in the new tundra section :eek:

Anywho, my 04 tundra here within the last month or so has developed this irritating squeaking sound. its only at lower speeds (maybe i cant hear it going faster because of the wind) and it happens on small/medium bumbs. like an old road or driving in dirt, but not on speed bumps or cross gutters.
its hard to place where the noise is comming from but it sounds like its in the rear passenger side of the truck.

the dealership oiled my leafsprings for free, but if it was still there they were going to have to charge to find the problem.

thanks a million... and please dont be afraid to give me a reason to trade it in for a new one! :D

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
04 Tun DC here. Same problem about 8 months ago. Have them grease the front swaybar bushings. They did that and the squeak on mine disappeared. Mine also sounded like it was coming from the rear, but where it is coming from can be deceiving.

mj

·
Registered
66 Posts
Madcow check your rear shocks to see if the bolts are tight.

MjJunior thanks for the reminder I have been meaning to do that I will do that this weekend.

And Madcow hows 381 HP and 401 TQ sound for a reason, wouldnt that be sweet.:devil:

·
Registered
63 Posts
i'm guessing you have a access cab right? if so lift the rear seat push down on the pars where the seat sits on top of. mine has the same noise and one day i did that and that's where the noise was comming from.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had the same thing, and it was like Mjunior said the front swaybar bushings. I took the bushing retaining brackets off, pulled the bushings out and greased them. No more squeak. If you push up and down on the front bumper real hard and get it rocking real good, you can re-create the squeak, if it's the front anti-sway bar bushings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey 05 REGCAB, Just put an are topper on my 04 reg cab. Looks as good as yours. I tell people it's a poor man's Sequoia. See ya.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
there's a tsb out for the 04 on rear shocks being mounted incorrectly. if none of the other suggested fixes solves your problem, you might look into that. some folks say it sounds like crickets chirping when you go over small bumps.

if it's out of warranty, it is something you can do yourself pretty easily. do a search for rear shock squeak tsb.

good luck!

·
Registered
256 Posts
My 04 DC is doing the same thing.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've scheduled TSB SU003-04, Rear Shock Squeak, for Monday. I've only got 1K until the 3/36 expires. I'll report back if it fixes the problem or not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a squeak too. It sounds like it's from the rear. If I hit a bump slow enough so I can hear if it happens when the front or rear wheels hit, it sounds like the rear is the problem. What am I looking for if it's the rear shock mounting errror? I read that it's a washer rubbing the frame? Better yet, does anyone have pics or know where I can see pics of a before/after?
Sorry to hijack.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks Integra...I subscribed last night so I could get those rear shock squeak details. Oh well. Fixed it today and THE SQUEAK IS GONE!!!!!!! It got to the point where all I would pay attention to was the annoying squeak. The subscription price was worth every cent to find out how to fix that stupid problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same squeak coming from the rear, it was very intermitant. My truck was just out of the warranty by 500 miles, had to call 3 different dealers service managers to get them to do the TSB work on the rear shocks....finally, they did the TSB work on the house (cost them less than $50), and the squeak is gone!!! Madcow, I would put money on it that it's the rear shocks, especially if you have the TRD bilstein shocks. Do the TSB your self, or have the dealer do it and see if that gets rid of the squeak.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I went to Toyota Grapevine, TX, to have this TSB done. Their tech wasn't able to remove the shock without tearing it up. So, Noah told me that they would replace both shocks along with the TSB but they didn't have the shocks and they wouldn't be in until Wednesday. No problem. I'm heading back next week to check on the house anyways and I'll get it done when I'm there.

Will report back.

This was my first time dealing with Toyota Grapevine. I had an appointment and I got there an hour late (new cell phone and I didn't get the alarm right). No problem, they got me right in. While waiting for Noah to get the paperwork all squared away I had no less then 5 employees, from sales to service, ask me if I was being helped. Looking good in Grapevine so far!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yo Madcow I just posted almost the same thing two min. ago. Yea the springs lube and lubeing all the bushings didn't work either. I think it might be in the shock but cant confirm it because someone tightened the lower shock bolt too tight. I was going to remove the lower bolt on the pass rear shock and drive the truck over some bumps that I know will make the noise. If I get the stupid thing off I will post the outcome for you. Let me know if you get an answer. I know one thing its driving me nuts.

Ok, thanks to all who posted the answers that I didn't read until after I posted this. :ts::devil::tu::tu:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts