Toyota Tundra Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
The only problem i ever had with my tundra was the gas mileage, outrageously bad for a truck as small as my access cab was and as small as my 4.7 was also. Not to rub it in or be a prick, but my crew cab Z71 4x4 i just picked up last month is getting 2-3mpg better on city and highway driving. The reasoning could be because i had flowmasters on the Tundra and loved to hear them even though they didnt sound as good as the chevys and dodges or Toyota didnt put enough emphasis on the gas mileage on their trucks. Mine was an 03 and sure the new transmission and VVTi helped in 05, but regardless my tundra weighed almost 1000lbs less than my new chevy and it drank much more gas in the process.

·
Registered
634 Posts
hondablaster said:
I just bought a brand new toyota tundra black double cab with a ton of options. im leasing it for $380/20000 a year. I love the truck im hating the MPG and im young and dont make big bucks i would simply be happy if it really does get 19 MPG freeways seeing how i drive 25 miles one way daily. I live on my own and i have no finacial help from family.

Im really scared that i cannot afford it so much that im losing sleep of it.

Does anyone know what i could do other then granny driving it that will get me up to 1 to 2 mpg. I have not finished a tank of gas and at half tank im allready 170 miles on the engine. I would not be able to afford to go to work if i cannot get a bit more mpgs.

Thanks anyways. Im looking into a k&n type kit and some cat backs for now.

Gas is 3.40 a gallon in SO CAL

Thanks
One thing you might consider is the 2000 rpm limit rule. I had seen guys on the board suggest this when other members like yourself wanted suggestions on getting better gas mileage. So one day i decided to try it. I used to set my cruise at 72 mph on the interstate which resulted in about 17.5 to 18.5 mpg on my 2wd Tundra with 34000 miles on it. One day I filled up and the entire tank I set my cruise at 60 mph. Did some other regular driving never driving it hard, never causing the transmission to downshift, etc. Babied it which is really how i drive anyway. I am still on my original brakes. Anyway my mileage topped 20 mpg barely at 20.1 mpg. I have tried the test since and repeated those same numbers. You just have to be patient having people blow by you on the interstate. If you truly want to save some gas and get the most out of the truck try the 2000 rpm rule.

·
Registered
386 Posts
hondablaster said:
Thanks guys your making me less stressed out. I definatley love the truck and when im in my room stressing out about my impulse buy. I jump into the truck and feel like i can run over the world. LOL
Suggestions: Don't get stressed out as you have a great vehicle and I have found that it cost less to maintain-i.e.-fewer trips (like none) back to the dealership for warranty repairs.

Also, don't get upset when you read about some who are reporting 20+ mpg and correspondingly higher mileages in city driving. I just consider them lucky. My 05' gets between 12.5 and 14 in town and 17 - 18 mpg on the highway. According to other owners in our area, this seems to be basically the same as they are experiencing. However, the truck will certainly "haul ***" and if you are not careful, you will be doing 80-85 on the Interstate before you know it and the ride is quiet and smooth.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Not to rub it in or be a prick, but my crew cab Z71 4x4 i just picked up last month is getting 2-3mpg better on city and highway driving.
Hope you have better luck than I did with my last two (ever) GMs (one was a Chevy crew Z71). I could have bought an oil well for what they cost me in repairs (very shortly after the warranties ended). Not to rub it in, but I'll take quality over quantity.

Eddie

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
EddieAR said:
Hope you have better luck than I did with my last two (ever) GMs (one was a Chevy crew Z71). I could have bought an oil well for what they cost me in repairs (very shortly after the warranties ended). Not to rub it in, but I'll take quality over quantity.

Eddie

I was going to say the same thing GM ahh" NO" never again water pump failures Bad transmission and loose quality control No thanks :td: :td: :td:

Might want to ask the2edge1974 about his 05 Gmc sierra 4wd slt crew that burned on the ground due to Gm wiring hardness having a faulty Flaw and his Dealership that screwed up his 04 Tundra oil change causing him to go to Gm in the first place which he learned later the hard way and Came back to Toyota ....

·
Registered
217 Posts
I feel your pain. I drive from Lancaster to Burbank everyday. I bought a 1998 Taurus that is getting me 29 mpg and I leave the Tundra in the garage. Yes, I miss driving it, but not only do I save gas but you also have to remember that you save wear and tear on you truck as well. And you know as well as I do that us SoCal'ers rack up the miles on our vehicles pretty fast. That 20,000 miles won't take long.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Before you spend any more money do a couple of things that are free. 1st, check your tire pressure. Most folks run it too low and don't check it enough. 2nd, slow down. Everyone in California likes to drive at 70-75+ mph and then complain about poor mileage. Me included. I use my cruise control all the time to keep my speeds more reasonable. As a side note, I am finding 65 mph in the middle lane is more relaxing than 70-75 in the fast lane and the time differnence on my 50 mile commute is negligable. Also be aware of how fast your are accelerating from light to light. 3rd, pack a lunch, $5-8 a day really adds up, it is much cheaper to make a sandwich or take some fruit. 4th, pay close attention to the price you pay for gas, I saw it today for 3.31 and 2.99 - guess where I buy mine?

I JUST picked up my new Tundra, traded a 92 Civic for it. The Civic was costing more in repairs than it was worth and I needed a truck. I have just over 100 miles on my ride and am just now hitting the 3/4 mark on the fuel gauge. I am driving really easy because I want to break the engine in right and I intend on keeping this vehicle and ultimately passing it on to my daughter.

Finally, every successful financial expert I have ever heard recommends against leasing a vehicle except in very specific situations and they say you should try to keep a car for at least ten years if you buy it new. Good luck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
hondablaster said:
I just bought a brand new toyota tundra black double cab with a ton of options. im leasing it for $380/20000 a year. I love the truck im hating the MPG and im young and dont make big bucks i would simply be happy if it really does get 19 MPG freeways seeing how i drive 25 miles one way daily. I live on my own and i have no finacial help from family.

Im really scared that i cannot afford it so much that im losing sleep of it.

Does anyone know what i could do other then granny driving it that will get me up to 1 to 2 mpg. I have not finished a tank of gas and at half tank im allready 170 miles on the engine. I would not be able to afford to go to work if i cannot get a bit more mpgs.

Thanks anyways. Im looking into a k&n type kit and some cat backs for now.

Gas is 3.40 a gallon in SO CAL

Thanks
your MPG's will get better as your miles accumulate. leave it stock, any add ons will cost u more money and since its a lease you'll have to turn everything back to stock. i dont understand why u went for 20K miles/year. if u use it for work, minus weekends, no road trips you should be good with 17k miles. or maybe even 15K. i dont know, but how much did you put down anyhow? seems like you're overpaying on monthly payments already. and your truck is model year 2007???????????????

·
Registered
125 Posts
treihing said:
I agree El Madmaster. Take some time to break it in and then take a look at your options. I hate mileage but love my Tundra but have corrected my driving habits and patterns and have noticed a huge difference.

Look at the bright side. I am leasing at $525 a month on a 3 year lease for a Limited Dblcab 4x2.. Be Happy:D

T~
WOW! im not trying to bash, but i think u got raped!
i am paying $250.31 with 12K/year (last 3 years i averaged 8k/year) and $2200 total money down. $1200 of it was cap cost reduction the rest covered the fees. MSRP of the truck was $33,310.
i think im going to put an ad in a paper under car classifieds and i'll go into business helping people buy cars at a low price. starting price $400 per car. compared to what you would save in the long run i think it would be worth investing.:D :D :D i seriously think i should do it.:devil:

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Why did you buy a truck? If it was to haul stuff and pull stuff and do pickup truck things, then you should find a way to make the budget work. The mileage will increase over time. My first tank was 12.5 city/15 hwy. At 10,000 miles, I'm at 14.8 city/19 HWY. That's a 4x2 DC.

If you bought the truck because it was cool and you like driving a truck, then I would consider trading it in on something more economical to own.

Tom

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.