Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 DC, was driving from Denver to Co Springs hitting the I-25 for a bit it seemed like there was alot of bouncing going on in my rear. My wife was asking why it was happening in my truck but didnt happen in her Altima. I dont really know how to explain it, but it only happend on a few parts of the freeway not the whole way thru. Any insight would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world us Tundra guys call "bed bounce"

Search it, you'll be busy reading for hours.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I know what section(s) your talking about. They are "white paving" areas. These are areas paved with concrete and not asphalt (hence white paving). The bounceing that you feel the light rear end of the truck going over the control joints in the paving.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
try changing your speed

·
Registered
500 Posts
Took my 7 week old baby on a ride in my truck for the first time... she didn't enjoy the bouncy ride too much as I noticed she had spat up all over herself when I got home. :puke:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
look in one of the thousand threads on this issue that people claim is a defect in the truck but its really a road surface issue....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of a pickup truck. I thought it was bad till I borrowed my uncles F350. I thought the lumber rack was going to hit the windshield of the truck. There are a few freeways that are really bad around here, 101 and 118.

·
Registered
395 Posts
look in one of the thousand threads on this issue that people claim is a defect in the truck but its really a road surface issue....
Well since Toyota knows, admitted and is working on this as we speak... its technically not as much a road surface issue in the case of 2007+ Tundras.

I don't really want to put anything out on a forum since the Toyota engineer I know that explained a lot about the fix always asks me to keep things private.

Call IVD and see what you can get out of them. They already fixed this issue last year was what they told me. What there hold up on the fix is I don't know.

If you compare a Tundra frame to the like you'll see what sets it apart from the rest. Kinda makes me curious...

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
all i know is my tundra rides tons better than my dad's 06 ext cab silverado, or the in laws 09 silverado 5.3 loaded up crew or the grandpa in laws 09 4.8 work truck crew silverado...all of them will beat you to death....sure theres a bump here or there that a lexus would handle much better, but its a truck so its expected. certainly nothing to complain of here. but then again, the roads here must be ok and i dont have an issue where i expect a car manufacturer to build a truck that will handle interstate XXX just perfectly since its road surface is bumpy....

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I like the way the Tundra rides. I agree it's a "tad" worse than the other trucks I've ridden in. My buddy's 2500 RCLB didn't have any bed bounce. The '04 F150, a bit less than my truck.

Now, when I'm driving I'm always curious to see what other truck beds are doing. It must not be that noticeable unless you're driving the truck b/c I don't notice it on any other trucks down the same highway.

One day coming home from the dealership there was a 2500 or 3500 SRW Dodge Cummins next to me. He hit a bump and I bout thought his rear tires jumped off the road. His front suspension was getting awfully close to that death wobble too. Oh the joys of having a IFS in a 1/2 pickup lol.

-rockstate

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised it's been a while since I've last read a bed bounce thread.

One thing that really helps is lowering your rear tire pressure.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised it's been a while since I've last read a bed bounce thread.

One thing that really helps is lowering your rear tire pressure.
thats because people have been focusing on gas mileage threads hahaha

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
thats because people have been focusing on gas mileage threads hahaha
My 2010 DC long bed has it pretty bad and its not just on highway sections, its pretty much anytime you hit a bump. Its not the first bounce thats the problem its that it bounces 3-5 times and vibrates the whole truck until the reverberations finally give out. I'm going to end up changing the shocks or installing that steel plate like another member has to see if I can reduce it.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts