Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm towing a 17' double axle enclosed trailer with electric brakes everyday of the week, and I need to find out if I need a seperate brake controler or not. I went back up to the dealer and asked a service manager and he said I dont need it because the 07 Tundra has a 7 pin harness. I told him so did my 2500 Silverado HD but I still needed a brake controler for it. He said the truck is already wired for brakes. I told him probably just the lights and not the brakes, but he was sure it didnt need a brake controler for towing with electric brakes.

I'm almost positive I need to put one in but I'm confused a bit on the wiring. I have a Reese brake controler with 4 wires and a Tundra adapter with 5 wires. The wires on the brake controler are as follows: White=ground, Red=Stop Light, Black=Battery, Blue=Brake. This all seems simple enough but it doesnt match up with the harness that came with the Tundra.

If anyone has rigged up a brake controler I would appreciate any help on clearing this up please.

Thank you in advance, it is much appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just hooked up a Prodigy brake controller with my 2006 Tundra. You should use a brake controller as it allows you to power the electric brakes on your trail. Mine was prewired with tow pachage, etc, but you need a brake controller to sue with electric brakes. Prodigy is the best!! You can get a plugin that will go into socket under driver kick panel and plugs directly intpo the prodigy (or other) controllwe mounted above right driver leg (gives convenient access for emergeny manual braking, if needed)

Good Luck,
Bill

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Sounds like the service manager you spoke to didn't understand your question (or, he's a flaming idiot). In either case, you DEFINETELY need a brake controller. As for your wiring situation, it surprises me that your four pin trailer connection doesn't automatically work with your new truck. Was there some extra wiring in the glovebox of the new truck or something? It seems like they should offer an adapter.

Otherwise, I found this website that may help:

Trailer Wiring

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like the service manager you spoke to didn't understand your question (or, he's a flaming idiot). In either case, you DEFINETELY need a brake controller. As for your wiring situation, it surprises me that your four pin trailer connection doesn't automatically work with your new truck. Was there some extra wiring in the glovebox of the new truck or something? It seems like they should offer an adapter.

Otherwise, I found this website that may help:

Trailer Wiring
I explained the situation to him, but thats neither here nor there now. I know I need one.

My trailer has a 7 pin male harness plug and the 07 Tundra has a female 7 pin plug. So all is good there. In the glovebox it came with a brake control adapter harness that plugs in under the left of the drivers side dash according to the manual. This harness is to be wired to my supplied brake controler. But the Reese brake controler I have has only 4 wires coming out of it and the Tundra harness adapter has 5 wires. This has me a bit confused as the wiring diagram isnt clear as to which wire goes where and if one gets left out or not.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I explained the situation to him, but thats neither here nor there now. I know I need one.

My trailer has a 7 pin male harness plug and the 07 Tundra has a female 7 pin plug. So all is good there. In the glovebox it came with a brake control adapter harness that plugs in under the left of the drivers side dash according to the manual. This harness is to be wired to my supplied brake controler. But the Reese brake controler I have has only 4 wires coming out of it and the Tundra harness adapter has 5 wires. This has me a bit confused as the wiring diagram isnt clear as to which wire goes where and if one gets left out or not.

Thanks again
is one a chassis ground? that wouldnt go to the harness.. but rather to the chassis.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Get a Prodigy and you won't be sorry!

You can also find them sometimes under the draw-tite brand on ebay for a good price..;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Another vote for the Prodigy Brake Controller.

It is simple to set up and works great! Your truck should have come with the wiring harness. I set mine up in less than an hour. Toyota sells one as an aftermarket accessory for the Tundra but it will probably be cheaper at Camping World.

Bill

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
If your truck has the factory towing package it should be pre-wired for a brake controller and a pigtail connector that connects the brake controller to the under dash harness should have been provided. Read your owners manual and talk to your parts department if your truck did not come with that pigtail connector.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Re read post 1 and 4, he states that the adapter pigtail was in the glove box, he is just having difficulty with non matching colors, which is common with controllers that have the un terminated blunt cut wires, and the pigtail supplied by Toyota is un terminated at one end. The dealer service guy is not helping by being under the impression the truck is ready as is. I would think most service guys would know a little about trailer towing than this one does, but that is not part of the training they receive, and he may not have ever towed a heavy trailer in his life. Most truck manufacturers in the owners manual and in the trailering guide refer trailer wiring questions to the trailer dealer. I would think if he did not know for sure about the trailer brakes, he (service guy) would have asked or refered Jumbo Jet to someone more knowlegeable.
Jumbo Jet;
The colors on the supplied pigtail will not most likely match the wires on controller. The supplied pigtail usually contains an instruction sheet that matches color to function, and the controller also has a sheet that does the same. You will plug the supplied harness into the plug under dash/kick panel and match function on controller and splice accordingly. As others have mentioned, some controllers have a plug rather than the wires, you buy an optional harness that matches the truck on one end and the controller on the other for no splicing/bad connection problems, also much neater and quicker. On a new, very nice truck, I think I would look for a no splice for the much neater/less problem setup. Mount unit where it fits well, but remember you will need to sometimes apply trailer brakes with the controller, so mount it where this is possiblewith a free hand and without taking eyes off road for long.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Go with the Prodigy. There is an adaptor for Toyotas, similar to the one that came in the glovebox, but both ends are pre-wired and plug right in. You don't need to worry about wiring one end. It plugs right into the plug under the dash. When I got mine last year, the adaptor was $15. Most internet places that sell the prodigy also sell the adaptor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts