Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to transport a new trailer and I need to install a brake controller. I ordered a P3 and was looking for someone to tell where the connector might be found on an 08 Tundra with tow package.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Should be under the kick panel on the drivers side. Hope you held on to the Toyota harness that clips into the connector... great idea from Toyota!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can use the connector Toyota gives you, but it's much easier to buy a Toyota connector from Tekonsha. It will plug directly to the back of your controller and then directly into the truck. No splicing. You should be able to get it from the same place you bought the controller. Truck connection, as stated above, is in the kick panel by your left foot on the floor. You will also see the grounding screw in the same area to ground your cable to. Easy install, especially with the Teknonsha connector.

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=34987&StoreID=69&DepartmentID=122&CategoryI

·
Registered
151 Posts
Behind the driver's kick panel at the top near the firewall. It's white and may have a dummy plug in it. You may alos have to separate some electrical tape from the rest of the harness to get at it completely.

If you use the harness that comes from Toyota, follow the wiring diagram on the Tekonsha Pigtail. On my prodigy a Green wire from the Toyota harness IS NOT Used. just tape it up and make sure it doesn't ground out. You will lose your tail lights and passenger windows. I know from experience.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you've got the factory harness sitting in your glovebox, you might as well use it. Took me about 5 minutes while on my couch watching TV to crimp my P3 harness wires to the OEM provided harness wires. You can't screw it up. There is a huge yellow label on the P3 harness that tells you exactly what wire you'll use on the Toyota harness. As Terry said, the green wire isn't used.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys told me everything I ever wanted to know but was afraid to ask. Thanks. Gonna try to figure out a way to temporarily mount this thing. Hate to drill holes since I will not use it much. Thinking maybe some double sided tape. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
You guys told me everything I ever wanted to know but was afraid to ask. Thanks. Gonna try to figure out a way to temporarily mount this thing. Hate to drill holes since I will not use it much. Thinking maybe some double sided tape. Any ideas?
Home Depot has some Industrial Strength Velcro that works quite well. You'll want the 2" wide stuff. The only problem with it is that in the summer if it gets really hot in the truck (100 degrees or so) the glue does not work so well.:tu:

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
The harness in the kick panel has a dummy blank on it so don't get confused if the other one won't plug into it. Though I'm not saying that velcro won't work, you should just bite the bullet and screw the controller in. It really needs a solid mount because if it wiggles, it will throw the accelerometer off.

The Tundra has a couple useless cubby holes, just mount it in there and be done with it. The center cubby was totally useless to me, whenever I'd put something in there, it would just slide out and end up in the cup holder. Others with bench seats use the cubby under the tow/haul button.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hate to drill holes since I will not use it much. Thinking maybe some double sided tape. Any ideas?
FWIW, I put my Prodigy on the bottom edge of the black plastic panel below the steering wheel. It's in front of my knees. I've never had a problem kicking it or bumping it. 2 screwholes into the bottom edge of the panel, they would be pretty difficult to see if I removed the unit unless I put my head near the accelerator pedal and looked up. Worse comes to worse, I would get 2 tiny plastic plugs from the hardware store and stick them in to seal the holes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just took a piece of metal strip and used it as a bracket and mounted it just above the accelerator pedal using the existing bolt that holds the panel under the dash with switches/ blanks in it. It works just fine but is at 45 degree anle so one can just glance down and see it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts