Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a hard time getting the rear drums off mine are frozen and I can not get them off. I tried to check the adjustment screw but can not find the window. Any suggestions???:mad:

·
Registered
663 Posts
^ That's correct. There are 2 threaded holes in both the drums and rotors. You run the bolts in with a socket and alternate between the two with a few turns each to force the rotors/drums off. That's what those threaded holes are there for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help. With the problem of taking it off will I have a problem putting it back on?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Thanks for your help. With the problem of taking it off will I have a problem putting it back on?
Maybe, maybe not. You may need to back the shoes off a little to reinstall the drum. However, I never had to. Always easier putting them back on than getting them off (I think they just get stuck on there with all the brake dust and rust at the hub).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Drum brake is a brake in which the friction is caused by a set of shoes or pads that press against a rotating drum-shaped surface.

The term "drum brake" usually means a brake in which shoes press on the inner surface of the drum. When shoes press on the outside of the drum, it is usually called a clasp brake. Where the drum is pinched between two shoes, similar to a conventional disk brake, it is sometimes called a "pinch drum brake", although such brakes are relatively rare. A related type of brake uses a flexible belt or "band" wrapping around the outside of a drum, called a band brake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts