Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had a faultless Tundra for 217,000kms of hard use (almost all on road, towing, hauling etc...). The only thing that has never been right with my truck are the brakes. I've had 3 seized calipers, a spongy brake pedal forever, and rubbing on my back breaks.

One thing that has existed since I bought it that is very intermittent but have never properly diagnosed is an odd one. If I am accelerating then switch to hard braking very quickly, the brake pedal almost doesn't move for about a second, ABS comes on, then the Brake, VSC, and traction control lights come up on the dash until I restart the truck. Bad booster? ABS seems to work as designed in most other instances.

Plan on getting braided lines and new rear calipers soon, also need to sort out the rear axle with the brakes rubbing during cornering, perhaps bad bearings.

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had similar issues, the best solution I've had to date, that still works, is Stoptech braided lines, synthetic high temp fluid, and the Power Stop Z36 brake kit which includes pads, rotors, and red calipers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I actually saw those calipers at Rock Auto and considered them, less corrosion and chance of seizing up. $900 for the calipers pads and rotors isn't too bad...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep, and they've gone longer without warping rotors than anything else I've tried, and I've tried Brembo, Stoptech, and all kinds of frozen rotors in the oem size. I also have a suspicion these calipers won't freeze any time soon, like the stock ones tend to do. I have 280k miles on my 2009, and 60% of that is towing 4000-10000 lbs, so my brakes get a workout :) I got my Z36 from AutoAnything.

·
Registered
936 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts