Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened to me twice since owning the truck. I will be driving down the road and the red brake light comes on. It will go off once I shut the truck off and restart. Any ideas to what could cause this? Should I take it to the dealer and have them look at it? I got just about 29,000 miles on it and don't tow or haul heavy stuff around. I dont think it could be the brake pads yet.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
just like on any other car, check the fluid level. as brakes wear down over time more fluid is displaced into the calipers since they move farther than they did when new. just top it off with the right brake fluid and u shoudl be good to go. its very common for it to get just low enough to dip below the sensor during normal driving etc. try that before u do anything else.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good Barney, it makes sense. I will do it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I had the same issue with my 08 Sequoia. It turned out to be the "stroke sensor" on the brake booster. I believe it was pretty expensive about $1,800

·
Registered
424 Posts
SO here is my story... I was driving down the road and the same thing happened to me. Brake, Check engine and "VSC" Trac warning lights came on. I looked in the manual and of course it told me to go STRAIGHT to the dealer... after fiddling around with it for a while I realized that every time I "pulled" the brake pedal...the lights would come off. So... I pushed the sensor back into place which then depresses the button back into the brake pedal and ended up fixing the problem. I seriously have no idea what each function does. I am still in the process of trying to get it figured out. I hope it gives you another thing to think about. Might even save you money in the long run. Can you see in the photo the arrows?...If so, the one on the left is where the button makes contact with the brake pedal. and the arrow on the right shows the notched grooves that allow you to set your contact, It was loose so I had to set it in about two to three clicks. Again, not sure if this helps but that is what happened to me. Good luck. And if anybody else has info for me on this I will keep an eye out. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I will try the fluid first. I might take it to the dealer before my 36,000 mark! Just dont want to waste time going there.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my 08 Sequoia: Brake, Check engine and "VSC" Trac warning lights came on.
Took it to the dealer and they replaced the ABS Controller.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts