Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have new brake pads on my 03 Tundra. When I first touch the brake pedal, it goes nearly to the floor and doesn't slow down very well, then the 2nd and future pumps the pedal is normal height and it stops fine. What do you guys think the trouble could be.
:help:
Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
469 Posts
Bleed the brakes and adjust the rear brake shoes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's normal because when you just installed new pads, your piston is pushed all the way back. You gotta give it a few pumps for it to be back to normal. Adjusting the rear brake shoes also made a big difference after changing the front pads for me.

·
7,925 Posts
Just what exactly is the procedure to adjust the rear shoes so as to have them properly adjusted and even from passenger side to driver side? I am still dealing with braking issues after a week of gnashing teeth and mandatory double and triple pumping to get the brakes to work. There is also a maddening "popping" or "tapping" noise from the rear while braking which we think is an out of round drum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
(pbukowski) My first question to you is...did you buy OEM or aftermarket pads? I've seen aftermarket pads who's lining is a little lower than OEM giving you a soft pedal. If they are OEM, did you have the drums turned? I've also seen some drums that develope a ridge on the inside so that the new linings don't meet flush with the drum also giving you a soft pedal. (Highwaylizard) the popping noise's you hear have a 50/50 chance of going away for an out of round drum by having them turned. If they are too outta round, then new drums should solve your problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought aftermarket pads (Raybestos). I'm thinking maybe the brake lines just need to be bled. Actually, I'm thinking of bringing it in to the dealer and ask them to replace the brake fluid, as it's never been done. It's almost time for the timing belt, so might as well have them fix it all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts