Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for best performing brakes for a 2002 AC 4x4 with 60K and pulling a trailer 5,000 lbs.
Ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
The factory pads are designed to give you the best all-around performance, but if your doing a lot of towing and wear or fad becomes a problem you may need to experiment with other pads.
I suggest Raybestos semi metallic or their ceramic pads. We used to run the semi metalics on severer use trucks and ambulances with good results.
Mike

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I would put Hawk LTS pads up against anything on the market for that application. Hawk HPS would be a close 2nd (and probably the best choice for just general everyday driving w/o towing). OEM would be my 3rd choice.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Hawk pads may be the answer. Unfortunately I have no experience with their product so I can't recommend them.
I do know their primary business is racing applications and most companies like them don't vary their formulas much for street applications. This can leave you with a racing type pad material on the street. These material usually perform poorly for everyday driving as the material need to be warmed up to be efficient. They are very susceptible to brake noises and these material tend to dust a great deal. They are hard on rotors, can warp and wear them if not used properly
Now this is just a generalization of racing compound for street use, as I said I don't know much about Hawk in general and I don't know what martial they use. This is just a warning about brake compound not intended or properly tested for street use, and there are many company peddling these on the net.
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts