Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dc tundra 2006, has 25k on it and ive gone through 3 sets of rear drums and going to have the tranny replaced next week. the drums keep getting warrped every 3k. the tranny slipps when driving around corners and in overdrive, it also has a clunk in it when comming to a complete stop. am i the only one experencing these problems.:(

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
The drum can get warped if over heated, a few things can cause this. The number one cause is over adjusting the rear brakes. If adjusted too tight the shoes will expand and get even tighter in the drums causing the drums to warp.
Next you could have a seized part in the parking brake. The bell crank lever that extends through the baking plate is notorious for rusting up. Check all the park brake parts make sure they are free and return after released.
Lastly is the rear brake load sensing proportioning valve. If misadjusted it can cause over sensitive rear brakes, rear brake lock up and drum overheating.
I will also add that the drums may be just installed sloppy. The original drum came with a paper shim the went between the drum and axle. This shim will often stick to the axle and tear off in piece. If pieces are stuck to the axle the drum will not sit flat and will be warped as the lugs are tighten.
The axles faces must be clean of anything including rust.
Axle issues can also cause the drums to rotate as they are warped. Have the axle hub runout checked and make sure the drum fits properly to the axle. The center hole in the drum should be a snug fit to the axle and not slide around.
The trans I can't help you with do a search there is a lot of info on trans failures.
Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts