Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took the wife's 06 in and they said the brakes were gone in the front and down to 2mm in the back. Yeah she does mosty city driving but I expected a lot more than that on a set of brakes. Especially on the back. By 45k I mean kilometres. That's less than 30k miles. Anybody else ever do brakes this early??

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah - 48k miles on our 04 ltd, and it's on its third set of front pads (not counting OEM), second front rotor, and second set of rear pads/rotors.

of course, it's a big, heavy van that has to go up/down a mountain at least 2x day since it became our daily driver, so i'm not complaining - every vehicle we've had goes through brakes a little quicker than usual because of the terrain we need to drive on.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the dealer do the fronts with oem parts. I have never done brakes before but at the rate these vans seem to eat them and considering what the dealerships charge, I will be learning how to do it myself and try some different parts.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
68 k miles and on 3rd set of pads. Got front rotors replaced with the last change. I will go with OEM pads for now on. Van did not like the particular AM pads I put on with the last change, ..much noise. Polished rotors twice and it helped for a while but then noise came back. Replaced with OEM's and all is good again. Also just got 3rd set of tires put on. Wife seems to go throu Brakes and tires at a good clip.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My wife had the same problem - drove her minivan like she drove her little Honda. You can try teaching her how to drive a large vehicle or put her in a small car. Good luck.

I'd say that if you can get 20k miles before a brake replacement on a large vehicle with an automatic tranny, you're doing pretty good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts