Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys long time since i been on the forums, because my baby truck has been running great however the breaks are getting bad again.

I havent got these rotors turned yet, but every time i have before they just warp like always. So this time Im looking at spending a little more on better breaks this time, I need new rotors and pads because they are starting to make some loud sounds when i stop or go in reverse.

I heard alot of good things about EBC, however I have always been a fan of Brembo. I would really like to buy a new break kit but thats just way to much money, so im just looking at buying some nice rotors and pads.

One other question are slotted or dripped or both better then just regular rotors? Is there any reason why they are better or they are worse?

Thats one thing I wished Toyota did on the 01 tundra is recalled these really bad breaks, I did the mod on which i changed the part which tells the breaks to put a little more break power on the back pads, its helped a little bit but never enough to really get the stopping power my other tundra has

Once again guys thanks for all you help, best forums out there :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't get your hopes up! I recently ponied up for a set of Brembo slotted rotors and EBC Green pads for my '01 Seqouia. At first, it was heaven. 10,000 miles later, after pulling a U-Haul trailer 2500 miles, its the same old story- warped rotors. My take is that unless I drop the $2K on the "big brake upgrade", I am just going to have to live with having to do the brake work way too often. Good news is that working on the front brakes on these trucks is as easy of a brake job as you will find. Good luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
One other question are slotted or dripped or both better then just regular rotors? Is there any reason why they are better or they are worse?
slotted ones or dripped or both are releasing the gases created by friction between pad and the rotor,on rotors with no slots, pad is "hydroplaning" on those gases and the stopping power is reduced...
I have best expierence with brembo rotors(stock replacement) and hawk pads so far,my previus set of slotted EBCs with stock pads went bad the very same day....pads make the difference too...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issues with my 2001 4WD Tundra. New stock rotors would warp within a week (no BS).
I don't tow anything but do drive up and down steep mountain roads (descend 1500 vertical feet on five miles of road daily).

I did a lot of research on this site and saw that the $2000 dealer brake line fix has had mixed results with forum members here, I wasn't going to spend that kind of cash on something that might not work.

It seemed the brakes were under engineered for the weight of the vehicle and the flexible brake lines contracting during brake release restricted fluid flow and caused the pads to stay on the rotor longer than they should producing excess heat which in turn caused the warpage (is that a word?)

Realizing that I couldn't do anything about the heat, what if I fit a rotor that was designed for it?

In August of 08 I rolled the dice and forked out the cash for the Brembos (cross drilled and slotted).

The Brembos have been on for 15K miles now and I've experienced no rotor warpage yet.

Whether I've analyzed the problem correctly or not, the results speak for themselves.

Now my next project is to do the same for my wife's 2004 Sequoia!

Hope this helps someone out there, this forum has saved me a lot of time and money over the last few years, figured it was time to "pay it forward" thanks to all!

Roger.
Ps I bought the Brembos from Brakeworld

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I went through rotor hell with mine for a while. I ended up going with Powerstop cross drilled (not slotted) rotors. They have been on for 5 years and about 35K with no issues at all. I've put one new set of pads on these, and they didn't require turning. The longest any had gone prior were about 3K miles. They are pricey and hard to find. Powerstop (at the time I bought these) used Brembo rotors and just cross drilled them. I would imagine that the cross drilled Brembos now sold by the Tire Rack and others would be similar. There are many differing opinions on this board about brakes and rotors, but this is what finally fixed mine-without doing the caliper swap.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey guys long time since i been on the forums, because my baby truck has been running great however the breaks are getting bad again.

I havent got these rotors turned yet, but every time i have before they just warp like always. So this time Im looking at spending a little more on better breaks this time, I need new rotors and pads because they are starting to make some loud sounds when i stop or go in reverse.

I heard alot of good things about EBC, however I have always been a fan of Brembo. I would really like to buy a new break kit but thats just way to much money, so im just looking at buying some nice rotors and pads.

Thats one thing I wished Toyota did on the 01 tundra is recalled these really bad breaks, I did the mod on which i changed the part which tells the breaks to put a little more break power on the back pads, its helped a little bit but never enough to really get the stopping power my other tundra has

Once again guys thanks for all you help, best forums out there :)

I am excited to see what the verdict is because I was wondering the same thing today. Unfortunately, I have the same problem, and I need new rotors/ pads.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I replaced my OEM rotors with Brembo, but the biggest improvement was when I replaced the original calipers with the larger versions from the later '04-'06 years which also uses larger pads. This was an official TSB, but there's also a bunch of guys here who have done this retrofit themselves. A member here did a great how-to write-up, which is what I followed to do mine. Search around.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Slotted and/or drilled rotors on a street truck are a good way for rotor mfg's to separate you from some more money. That is their only benefit.
How many people that complain of "warped" rotors use a torque wrench to tighten their lugnuts....every time.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, ask yourself 1 question. do you like your brakes.
if you do, put the same on.
i like the feel & pedal, & braking of my OEM brakes.
so i will never change mine.

i know from the past i bought the most expensive brakes available for my vehicles.
and i hated the feel, & wear was horrible.
i run through brakes every 20,000 miles or so.

i bet if i used aftermarket it would be every 10,000 or less.
it's happened before. so i stick with OEM.
but thats up to you.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
i bet if i used aftermarket it would be every 10,000 or less.
it's happened before. so i stick with OEM.
What he said. When my original rotors warped, I got the plain-Jane Brembo rotors - no fancy drilling or slots. And as far as pads, for a while I used the supposedly better Hawk ceramics, but have gone back to Toyota's OEM pads after the caliper swap. Not only are the OEM pads quieter than the Hawks, but they feel better under pressure, and there's less dust. They were also easier to install with the (new) adhesive backed shims. The larger OEM calipers should've been standard from the get-go, but at least Toyota figured it out in latter years.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
What he said. When my original rotors warped, I got the plain-Jane Brembo rotors - no fancy drilling or slots. And as far as pads, for a while I used the supposedly better Hawk ceramics, but have gone back to Toyota's OEM pads after the caliper swap. Not only are the OEM pads quieter than the Hawks, but they feel better under pressure, and there's less dust. They were also easier to install with the (new) adhesive backed shims. The larger OEM calipers should've been standard from the get-go, but at least Toyota figured it out in latter years.
Have heard that about Ceramic. I can assure you, the Hawk HPS pads are the best I've used so far. Brembo plain rotors + Hawk HPS pads get my vote.

Cian, do the toyota pads come with 1 or 2 adhesive back shims. Got a set for my Corolla, had 1 adhesive shim per pad, but current pads have 2 shims. Does this single shim replace both, or just the inner shim?

/Mike

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I'm kinda foggy here, but I think I only used the one shim provided. Btw, this new pad/shim part no. is 04465YZZ1A-TM.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm installing a pair of plain Brembo's and a set of Akebono ceramic pads this Saturday. I've had good luck with Raybesto's Quiet stop ceramic pads and Akebono is a major OEM supplier so I thought I'd give them a shot. According to Tirerack's customer reviews the Akebono's are quiet and the plain Brembo/Akebono combo is well thought of by actual users. Lack of noticeable brake dust is nice.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm installing a pair of plain Brembo's and a set of Akebono ceramic pads this Saturday. I've had good luck with Raybesto's Quiet stop ceramic pads and Akebono is a major OEM supplier so I thought I'd give them a shot. According to Tirerack's customer reviews the Akebono's are quiet and the plain Brembo/Akebono combo is well thought of by actual users. Lack of noticeable brake dust is nice.
I was going to do the same thing, I looked all over the internet found a great price for Brembo plain rotors, but PartsTrain.com - Hard to Find Auto Parts and Truck Parts shipped me the wrong rotors not even Brembo some POS PBR? they already in the process of returning them but how did they get PBR from Brembo ... yea ...

(where did you get your rotors and pads from?) I order the same pads as you from TireRack.com I heard alot of good things from them and I also read the reviews.

I was really thinking about going with the cross drilled or slotted or even both but after some things i been reading about them I'm probably going to stay away from them. Brembo is a great brand and I have heard nothing but good from them. So I am going to give them a shot.

Thanks guys for all your reviews

·
Registered
474 Posts
Tirerack.
I talked to Ethan Burns @ 888-428-8355 ext [email protected]
Brembo replacement rotor # 25534 and Akebono ProACT ceramic pads # ACT976. I also got a set of Bilstein shocks from them at the same time....gonna be a busy Saturday, I'm going to install it all.

·
Registered
374 Posts
my brakes warped twice. tuened the rotors both times, replaced the pads once at 30K......at 62K now with no issues. our master tech said that the oem rotors could be turned twice but after that will have to be replaced.
ive owned stupid expensive brake sets on all my sports cars and to be honest oem is just as good. braking depends on so many other factors other than just pads and rotors.......like tires.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ive turned my factory rotors about 5 times and can probably go 1 more round. It depends on who machines your rotors and how bad they were warped how many times you can machine them

·
Registered
474 Posts
Good price. My rotors (25534's) were $150 but I paid $18 shipping (with a set of pads in the box:rolleyes:) from Tirerack. I've been a couple of hundred miles on mine and everything seems to be copacetic. The ease with which the Tundra's pads come out, doing the rotors/pads is a 4 bolt affair.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts