Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Changed title) question about ABS

I have a 2006 Tundra 2wd with 60k miles. Ford dealership just put in a new rear axle and they also took it to another shop to fix the blinking low tire pressure indicator. I went to pull out of the car lot and hit the brakes and it was stopping normally, but then it was as if the brakes failed. The truck lunged forward, the pedal dropped towards the floor and jerked as it went, and I could hear a series of 5-7 clicks (sounds just like a taser). It does this regularly now. Took it back and they replaced the ABS sensor and bled the brakes. Also when I take off from a stop and turn right or left sharply I can feel a vibration coming from the rear of the truck (another problem).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm going to semi-answer my own question. It's got to be something in the ABS right? What does the ABS do when the wheels lock up? Disengages the brakes to short burst, or something, to prevent tire lock up. Like when you are applying the brakes and you hit a bump you feel the pedal sink alittle and you hear the noise I was talking about. If anyone has ever experienced this, that is what my truck is doing except i'm going 2mph and i'm on flat ground barely hitting the brakes.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I would return that truck and get my money back and get a truck with no issues that may get worse.... that truck has probably been to hell and back.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh, I don't know. I mean it is a very, very clean truck. Car fax says 2 owners before me. I'm beginning to wonder though. You see when I was driving it home the person following me noticed the right rear tire had a wobble to it. That's the reason for the rear axle replacement. The dealership has a 60 day warranty, so I'm trying to get everything right on it now. 60k, how much hell could it have been thru....I know, I know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wouldn't trust carfax. I got one of their reports for my 03 Tundra when I was thinking about selling. It did NOT show the $6k rear end repair from the accident I was in 2 years before. It was a replacement of bumper tailgate and left rear fender. It totaled the older Corolla that hit me. I was just reading something elsewhere on here about the ABS module might have air in it causing the activation. I read it after typing in the search '03 tundra brakes axle cap' and it was down a few. Sorry that's all I got history auto clears.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Sounds like something's off for the ABS system. Check all sensors and wires to ensure everything's right. If crap gets between the sensor and reluctor ring it will cause the abs to kick in when it's not suppost to. I'd check the side that had the axle replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.