Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just purchased a 2000 Tundra Limited and am new to the forum. Here's the problem I'm having, when I went to have the safety inspection done I failed due to the rear brake not working on the skid plate. I took the truck down to Pep Boys and ended up having to replace the rear axle seal and drum kit on one side as it was completely shot. When I went to pick the truck up yesterday I noticed that when I turn and apply brake pressure now the brake pedal locks about mid way down and I hear/feel a vibrating noise from the engine compartment. As the truck did not do this before I brought it in for repairs and worked fine I took it back in to the shop. They said there's a code for the ABS system but the lights not coming on. Again I had none of these issues before I brought the truck in but it's my word against theres at this point. Does anyone have any clue what the issue could be, or maybe something they forgot to hook up or reinstall on the back that would cause this. Any help is appreciated as I've searched the forums already.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I went and got the truck today from Pep Boys (idiots) as they said there was nothing they could do and I would have to take it to the dealer. I just got off the phone with Toyota and they said when the drum brakes were changed the technician that did it left residual grease in the drum and is causing them to overheat and tricking the ABS to kick in. I thought I was safe with Pep Boys as the mechanic was ASE certified, I guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I replaced an axle seal and the ABS activated at 10 mph every time I applied the brakes. I rechecked everything and found I had damaged the ABS sensor o-ring while reinstalling it. Replaced o-ring and no more problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts