Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2002 first generation Tundra 4.7 2 wheel drive with no abs. I've been having the issue of the brake sticking especially on first starts or mostly on cold weather. Toyota dealer put a brand new frame (5/26/2020)with new brake lines before that I had replaced all the rubber lines and calipers along with all the hardware to the brake shoes in the rear. I inspected the rear brake shoes and drums everything seems fine was about to replace the booster or the master cylinder but none of those have any visible issues. After the brakes are released they become very sensitive to the touch of the brake pedal. I'm a little lost of what to do next need a little help.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Is it rear brakes or front? I assume rear since those are the drums. When mine did that it was axle seals that had gone bad and gear oil was seeping into the drums. Was it oily at all inside the drum? Were the shoes sticky or oily feeling? Mine weren’t full of oil. Just a bit of a film of gear oil on everything and they were sticking just like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your prompt reply. I believe is the rear also, I now that the brakes shoes are not to tight as I could remove the drums relatively easy. I did notice the passenger side drum had a sticky substance in it but wasn't sure what it was. I didn't see anything leaking from the seal area but that doesn't mean is not leaking I guess.

·
Registered
257 Posts
That is likely gear oil. It’s very sticky when it’s slung around inside the brake drum area. I’d bet that’s where your lock up is. You have no abs you said, but I wonder if you still have the wheel speed sensors, or at least the holes for them. The seal is inboard of the tone ring and sensor location so what I did to verify it was gear oil was pulled the speed sensors and looked down in the hole. Both sides had gear oil in them, my drivers side was far worse though. I ended up replacing both seals, one bearing, both sides rear brakes and turning the drums because they were glazed from the gear oil. I then got rid of the factory breather and ran a breather hose and filter all the way up under the hood of the truck. I occasionally off road and hit deep enough water to dunk the axle so I believe that to have been my issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That does make a lot of sense as to why am having the issues. Just had knee surgery a couple days ago. As soon as I feel good enough to work on the truck I will get to work on all you mentioned and I'll get back to you.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
257 Posts
For sure. It’s not a bad job as long as you don’t need to do a bearing. The worst part is having to disconnect the brake line and thus bleeding brakes but mine didn’t give me any issues when I bled them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts