Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have heard of it in other products like motorcycles. Many cam shafts are hollow these days, I heard some even have pressed on lobes! Anyway, I've heard of the hollow camshafts breaking. It was much more rare with solid shafts. High performance engines with huge lobes and heavy valve springs use billet cams for strength.

Is it a problem with the Yotas? Only time will tell.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Cam failure?-Maybe at 200k? If I stomp it everyday-Drive it normal-Maybe 300k?. Come on man You're not actually gonna take seriously what a couple of ******** are puttin out there now is ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clown::clown::clown::clown::clown:

·
Registered
961 Posts
Never heard of cam breaking, and the HO cams that are avaliable for the 4.7 have welded lobes to make them bigger. Cams rarely ever break, I've only ever seen it happen once, on a newly built 350, that the owner didn't let break in before reving the piss out it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cam failure?-Maybe at 200k? If I stomp it everyday-Drive it normal-Maybe 300k?. Come on man You're not actually gonna take seriously what a couple of ******** are puttin out there now is ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clown::clown::clown::clown::clown:

That's what i figured. I've never heard of such a thing personally. Some guys just start making crap up the second a new faster truck comes out. I was just wanting to know if any of you guys had heard of it or experienced it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The only cam I personally saw broken was on a Ford big block 428 a guy I used to work with blew up. He built it as a stroker then tried to turn 7K RPMs with it. I think the cam broke when the pistons pulled the connecting rods apart- just before one of them tried to go through the hood.

·
Registered
50 Posts
lol, that was my post. The guy who posted that comment was corrected further down the thread (in reference to the piston slap). :) As far as his friend at the Toyota dealership...I have no idea if it's true or not.

edit: I dunno who registered there and posted that last comment, but they better put on the flame suit lol. :clown::p

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
lol, that was my post. The guy who posted that comment was corrected further down the thread (in reference to the piston slap). :) As far as his friend at the Toyota dealership...I have no idea if it's true or not.

edit: I dunno who registered there and posted that last comment, but they better put on the flame suit lol. :clown::p
I knew I saw that picture before...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Glad to see i'm not the only GM owner snoopin around the Tundra forum. There's alot more reading material over here than the GM forums :) .. I'm pretty impressed with the tundra thus far performance wise and i definitely enjoy hearing about them. Until Toyo gets the s/c out, there will definitely be alot of modded rides trying to race them just to say they spanked a Tundy. Luckily in you're scenario it was the other way around and the old dude was dealt with properly. :p

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Such is the nature of the beast, you can go to any forum, and read of any car/truck beating any other car/truck. The interweb is about as reliable as a Yugo when it comes to this type of thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Such is the nature of the beast, you can go to any forum, and read of any car/truck beating any other car/truck. The interweb is about as reliable as a Yugo when it comes to this type of thing.
Which is exactly why I took a pic. :) I suppose I should carry my video camera in my truck lol. But hey, no sweat off my back if no one believes me...I even made a thread on this board to see if he posted here. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Glad to see i'm not the only GM owner snoopin around the Tundra forum. There's alot more reading material over here than the GM forums :) .. I'm pretty impressed with the tundra thus far performance wise and i definitely enjoy hearing about them. Until Toyo gets the s/c out, there will definitely be alot of modded rides trying to race them just to say they spanked a Tundy. Luckily in you're scenario it was the other way around and the old dude was dealt with properly. :p
Yes sir, I actually enjoy it here! Glad to see another down-to-earth GM owner. I didn't come here to talk trash about the Tundra or scream "GM IS BETTER!" with my pants on my head...I joined so I could follow how things come along performance wise for the Tundra. We really do hope that people start showing up at the strip in them...sure it's competition, but it really and truly is much funner when you have a bunch of guys with different truck brands all having fun at the track. The internet is for smack talk no doubt, some people take it to heart and some know to brush it off. :) I was honest in my post, I got smoked from a roll by two-lengths. Sure he got the jump, but I sure as heck wasn't reeling the Tundra in! :p

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Which is exactly why I took a pic. :) I suppose I should carry my video camera in my truck lol. But hey, no sweat off my back if no one believes me...I even made a thread on this board to see if he posted here. ;)

Im not questioning whether you beat the truck, just stating the fact that alot of people vastly exaggerate their claims on the interweb. Ive seen a video of a stock srt4 neon beating a modded z06. You see my point.

·
Registered
209 Posts

Couldn't help myself:devil:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Im not questioning whether you beat the truck, just stating the fact that alot of people vastly exaggerate their claims on the interweb. Ive seen a video of a stock srt4 neon beating a modded z06. You see my point.
Ah, no I understand completely. Kind of like that video of the stock Cobalt SS/SC beating a modded 03 Cobra on the highway...only the video had no sound :rolleyes: (it was later found they were both buddies and the 03 Cobra was basically feathering the throttle). There will always be jokers out there that feel the need to enlarge their over the top ego's even more lol. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Couldn't help myself:devil:
Hey man it's freedom of speech lol. Don't take any of it personal, we all mess with each other like that even if we own the same type of trucks. :D:tu:

And if any of the crap talk gets ugly...then they usually take it to the track or compare timeslips LOL. :p

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Ah, no I understand completely. Kind of like that video of the stock Cobalt SS/SC beating a modded 03 Cobra on the highway...only the video had no sound :rolleyes: (it was later found they were both buddies and the 03 Cobra was basically feathering the throttle). There will always be jokers out there that feel the need to enlarge their over the top ego's even more lol. :)

Yeah, so true. I try to give respect all the way around. GM makes great trucks, hell, most everybody does anymore. Its just personal preference IMO. I envy yall for all the readily available mods that you have. Ive seen a video of a nbs 07 gmc in the 13s already.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts