Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well they made it to 21K. These were the biggest piece of crap excuse for a tire. I wouldn't put these tires on a trailer to haul slop for the hogs. Not even fit to paint white and plant flowers in. Toyota made a fine choice for their top of the line truck. Had the same experience with their motorcycle tires.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
LOL - that's consistent with my experience too, and numerous others on this site.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My first set Bridgestone went to 28k (almost bold), replaced them with Michelin LTX A/S and they do not look to good with just 18k miles on them.

Michelin has MS/2 with a 70k tread warranty, might be the best deal for a street tire for the Tundra.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yeah I was quite surprised to see a relatively unagressive passenger car-type tire on a 6000 pound 4wd pickup with a 10000 pound tow rating. I still never got stuck this winter but I certainly did miss the Revos I put on my Dakota, which could actually get me through all but the roughest stuff in 2wd. The Tundra got everywhere it needed to go but there was a bit more drama involved in some situations than I think there would have been if there was better rubber on there. They get 25K so I can get my money's worth then some decent all-terrains will go on.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Smae thing here. when I got my truck delivered I thought it was the wrong truck do to the tires. No way they would put street tires on a 4x4. Then the POS sstrated to wear out so fast on the outside. Only got 28k and it is to the inner belts on the tire. Going with Nittio terra next.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well I got 16,000 on the factory Michelins,,, looks like I may get a little more out og the Conntenental LX that I have now but no more than 20,000,,,, these are big heavy trucks if you live where there are lotsa curves you will eat tires even driving like a granny

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Lots of people get lots of miles out of these. You go driving the tundra, especially after lifting it, like it is a sports car, the tires are going to wear quickly. They will with any tire.
Think of the stock tires like a bonus. They will easily give you a reason to buy yourself some expensive tires

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was equally unhappy with the Dueler No-Terrains that cam on my tundra. It got stuck on a small grassy hill in 4" of snow. I'm at 23K and they are getting very near the wear bars. If you look up their survey rating on Tirerack.com they are near the bottom of the "light truck all season" category. I'm just pinching pennies until I can get some 275's.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I once had a set of revos because they were rated so high at tire rack. They looked good, and they performed well while they kept their tread, but they sure seemed to wear out quick. After those, i switched to firestone destination A/T's. Those are highly rated at tirerack, and i've been impressed with them. I've got 'em on my old grand cherokee and my wife's suburban. I just bought my tundra a few weeks ago, and it has the michelins ltx a/s, which i assume are the stock tires. I can't wait for them to wear out (getting close), so i can upgrade. Right now, if the road is wet, i have to VERY gently press the gas at a stop light or i'm spinning. Same thing on gravel. My jeep and suburban don't do that.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My B'Stones made it to 43K, but rode horribly. I replaced them two weeks ago with 275/70/18 Mich AT/2's. The new tires ride so much better.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Cheap, quiet tires.... thats why Toyota put them on. I did the math, it would have cost me just as much to buy a regular Tundra and upgrade the tires as it cost me to buy the Rock Warrior with TRD rims and great tires on them. That is a big reason I bought the Rock Warrior, better tires and I wanted a white truck with black interior. I hope these tires last 50K miles like they did on my last vehicle.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
i got stuck in light mud this past weekend... the tread just filled up with mud, and i had to get a chevy to pull me out
Oh that's bad. Real bad. You must feel like chit. :mad:

·
Registered
41 Posts
My first set lasted 63,000 miles without one flat. Not once did the TPMS ever go off. I don't have a 4x4 so I don't go offraoding. I keep 40 psi in the tires and check my tread depth every month to see how the wear is going by mileage. These tires are great for hwy use. I travel alot with my job hence the 85993 miles on it. When I had the shim done 2 months ago they checked out the truck and stated I have less than 20 % brakes on the back and just less than 50 % on the front. I should make it to 100,000 miles before I do the brake job on the rear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine went out at around 20k too. During the week, I keep around 1500 lbs of equipment in the back, so I'm sure this helped with the melting of the tread. I switch to BFG AT and 17K later they still look new.

·
Registered
41 Posts
These Duelers are street tires and made for hwy usage. That's why you had a dismal performance on the stuff you haul with these tires.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I could not WAIT to get proper tires on my truck. The stock ones last until the early 20,000 mile range. Replaced with BFG AT/kos. Best tire, and you will see popular around here. Heads up, though, tires are costly. $1500 for the 4 tires and warranty and all that jazz at Discount. That was a couple of years ago, too.

Costco is also an option. They were cheaper than Discount, but wouldn't put on the tires I wanted... because of course I went bigger.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts