Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for my 4.7 Tundra....

I'll post an update on it after I receive and install it, hopefully by next weekend! Figure it will cost about $230 total with installation. I also hear after doing lot's of reading that this will be a pretty drone free setup...

to be continued...

Oh, ordered model #3237 XL that's 2 1/4 dual in to 2 1/2 center out...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
for my 4.7 Tundra....

I'll post an update on it after I receive and install it, hopefully by next weekend! Figure it will cost about $230 total with installation. I also hear after doing lot's of reading that this will be a pretty drone free setup...

to be continued...

Shipped out today, will be here by Thurs and will have it installed on Friday. I'm excited as you can tell!

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
ohh, yippee another muffler thread (says Barnie).

Good luck with it, post pics (I still haven't).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ohh, yippee another muffler thread (says Barnie).

Good luck with it, post pics (I still haven't).
man, you guyz crack me up. i keep looking over my shoulder for someone to slug me in the arm like when i was 14...

i'll post pics and some sound at some point, but first you'll probably hear me yak about how it sounds...

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I spoke to my guy at work today, he says he will record it, probably next week when Im laid up. I tried to do it with my last "not-so" smart phone. When I played it back you couldn't hear anything.

As for pics, just imagine a giant silver suppository under your truck where the muffler used to be.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW, got that Sportsman XL installed today, taken a few cruises around, it sounds SWEET!!! great sound from standstill and when you get on it, and nice and quiet cruising about 65mph. Don't know what to compare it to, but I am extremely satisfied!

took a few pics and tried to capture some sound via my camera/video, sounds awful though...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So did math, total cost for muffler and install was $220. A very small price to pay for what seems like a little more pep and a lot of great sound!!!

hooked,
bkdelux

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Sound clips!!!

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I've heard lots of good things about spintech. In fact, I'm talking back & forth with Ron from Spintech about which is best for our 5.7's & why... (which I'll share if I go that route). I still can't decide on which exhaust I want, but Spintech is towards the top of the list...

·
Registered
374 Posts
for my 4.7 Tundra....

to be continued...

That's awesome, I'm going with Spintech as well when I change out my current muffler (Edelbrock). How much louder than stock is the XL? I'm still trying to decide if I want to go with the Sportsman XL or the regular Sportsman which is a few inches shorter. I want something noticeably louder than stock, with minimal drone, yet not ******* loud if you know what I mean :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's awesome, I'm going with Spintech as well when I change out my current muffler (Edelbrock). How much louder than stock is the XL? I'm still trying to decide if I want to go with the Sportsman XL or the regular Sportsman which is a few inches shorter. I want something noticeably louder than stock, with minimal drone, yet not ******* loud if you know what I mean :D
I think you should go Sportsman XL, it sounds perfect to me! They had to use a small spacer on my install which added $20 but otherwise it was a perfect fit.

I also know you can get a louder option from Spintech but my guess is it might get a little old after a while.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Its a lot louder than stock but then any aftermarket muffler will be. There is some drone, at least on my setup, I added an H-pipe yesterday and that cut down on it some. Its a nice sounding muffler though.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Its a lot louder than stock but then any aftermarket muffler will be. There is some drone, at least on my setup, I added an H-pipe yesterday and that cut down on it some. Its a nice sounding muffler though.
The only issue I have with the Edelbrock muffler is that it's too quiet for my tastes. It does sound good though(sorta like a Flowmaster 50 Series). I want something a little louder. Ron at Spintech said 99% of Tundra owners go with the Sportsman XL and that's what he recommends. He said the regular Sportsman will be louder than the XL.

Looking forward to hearing the sound clips.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The only issue I have with the Edelbrock muffler is that it's too quiet for my tastes. It does sound good though(sorta like a Flowmaster 50 Series). I want something a little louder. Ron at Spintech said 99% of Tundra owners go with the Sportsman XL and that's what he recommends. He said the regular Sportsman will be louder than the XL.

Looking forward to hearing the sound clips.
If you think the Elderbrock is too quiet, why go with the Sportsman XL which will likely be quieter?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
It does not seem quieter from the sound clips I've heard on the 2nd Gen Tundra.
Its not a quiet muffler. Roughly twice as loud as the same muffler on a 1st gen.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, after a week or so of driving around with the Spintech, I say YESSSS!!! For a total cost of less than $200 this thing rocks! The sound is amazing, throaty, seems to give a little HP boost and just not droning at 65 mph.

Oh, was in grocery store parking lot and fired up the Tundra...got a few head turns, "damn, that truck has a motor in it"...unlike that wussy ass factory sound!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts