Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was having a little fun offroad and I hit a large underwater hole fairly hard. After returning home I was turning around to park in the driveway and I heard a loud metallic pop. After a thorough inspection of the underside, I noticed that the cv joint cover was freshly torn. The cv shaft itself has a horrable amount of play while the passengers side is perfect. What are my options in replacement? Should I buy aftermarket or buy toyota overpriced replacements? Is there any fix other than replacement. The axel shaft is fine the joint itself is damaged on the end. Any help or info is appreciated.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't know if its the same with all Toyotas but I know that for my buddies 87 Celica GTS the aftermarket axels are under a limited lifetime warranty with a core charge. Every time he snaps another one, he just plucks it out and turns it in for another one. Doesn't cost him a thing. Does this on an every other month basis too.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I would purchase an aftermarket replacement axle. The cost is normally cheaper than trying to buy the replacement joint and boot kit for axle you have. If you choose to go with a replacement - a few words of caution- before you install the axle, check the splines carefully. Try inserting the splined end from the outside of the wheel hub. If the splines do not slide in easily, chances are that some of the splines have been damaged during the rebuilding process. If any of the splines are found to be damaged you'll have to redress them with a small file.

Just a time saving trick That I picked up over the years.

Good Luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts