Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy busted my back window & it's still together but shattered. I would think i could just have the section replaced somewhere.

Anybody help me out here?

Or will i have to bend over at the dealership with $540.00?

·
Registered
378 Posts
You must be a patient man, I would have been livid for awhile! :)

Usually aftermarket glass is much cheaper and glass is glass to me!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You must be a patient man, I would have been livid for awhile! :)

Usually aftermarket glass is much cheaper and glass is glass to me!
Yeah, i was pissed for a while. But $hit happens.

Thanks everyone, i'll go to a glass shop first.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Call your insurance company. Even if you don't file a claim they often have a service which you can use for a good discount. Has always saved me lots of cash, usually about $100 per windshield...

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your tips.

This site is a great thing, isn't it? :tu:

:ts:

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So how did your son break it?
He was getting a metal gas can full of gas out of my bed, by himself .......and oops. He's only 14 & quite small for his age.

Yeah, brand new truck..........nice huh?

I just hope i don't have to get a whole new window.....$540....ouch.

My wife called a glass shop & they said.........new window.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Call Safelite auto glass. I needed a new windshield for my Tacoma and got one from them for about $200 installed. Call them and see if they can get you fixed up.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Get a piece of plexi-glass from Home Depot or the like and fashion your own till one shows up in a local wrecking yard.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I seem to recall some kind of show about how one guy got another guy to fix his broke back window without having to pay anything but I can't remember the details ...

Wait - that was Brokeback Mountain. Never mind. :eek:

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Don't call the insurance company. Even if you don't file a claim with them, they will still file the report on your truck as an accident. So the hundred you might save could cost you in insurance payments down the road.
I don't know which insurance company you are using but they must really suck. I have worked with several agents and have a relative in this field and they all assured me that they do not log or report anything unless you ask to file a claim and they have to pay something out. If you don't trust your agent then just call their office without identifying yourself fully and just ask who they use for windshield repair. Or better yet just get a new agent... :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
my brother in law broke the little moving part of the back window after locking the keys in his truck one night... he thought it would be the cheapest window to replace... WRONG... had to replace the entire back window.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My boy busted my back window & it's still together but shattered. I would think i could just have the section replaced somewhere.

Anybody help me out here?

Or will i have to bend over at the dealership with $540.00?
Yours is a slider right?????

The factory slider is $337.34 List PRT# 64810-0C070
You may be able to get a deal from one of the vendors on here,,,
And then get a glass shop to cut out the old one and re-set the new one

I have one I orderd ,,, we are upgrading a truck from no slider to a slider ,,

I might be able to get you the stock no slider glass ,, Used if they do not damage it ,,,,

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Do the 2007 models have the studs bonded to the glass like the older models did? If so the 500.00 plus price may have included installation which will require some interior trim removal to access the nuts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Call your insurance company. Even if you don't file a claim they often have a service which you can use for a good discount. Has always saved me lots of cash, usually about $100 per windshield...
I have found that the auto glass shops give you two prices, insurance claim and cash.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Do the 2007 models have the studs bonded to the glass like the older models did? If so the 500.00 plus price may have included installation which will require some interior trim removal to access the nuts.
It looks like Toyota wants you to take out half the interior,,,, There has to be ways around this,,, Here is the factory manual removal instructions.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts