Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking a rattle/clunk on the front end and noticed my drivers side Bilstein "end cap" was floating on the shock shaft.

Anybody seen this before?

I called Bilstein and they said to work with where I bought them from. I talked with the online retailer they asked for some pictures (see attached pics). I am anxious to hear back.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Chapter II
So once I heard back from the supplier they said the dust cap can just be tapped back into place. After further inspection my mechanic noticed the top mount was cracked and the shock nut was pulled through. He welded that and I was back in business.

One week later I hit hole on a dirt road and snapped the height adjustment retainer ring on my Bilstein 5100. So the coil was fully extended down over the shock. I was stuck in the middle of nowhere Wyoming on a Saturday night. Got towed to Kemmerer WY that night.
My hunting buddy was up in WY as well. He rescued me, we went to Evanston WY to get a Gabriel shock and coil tool from the only autoparts store in a hundred miles open on Sunday. I limped home with the Gabriel on the front left.

So now I have no confidence in the Bilsteins 5100 for any offroading. I really don't want to spend $1200 on Icon Vehicle dynamic coilovers. Any other suggestions to get me around 2" of lift for front tire clearance with a decent ride?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Damn that sucks. I am running the 5100's with no issues and I drive in some rough terrain. One thing I do tho, is I put a small bead of JB Weld or even thread locker under the retaining clip. Just in case. Works for me. I had a clip pop off on my Tacoma that fixed it.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
This is going to sound awkward, but give the 5100 kit another try. It sounds like you got a defective shock, and the proper thing to do would have been send it back to Bilstein. I've seen the wiper cap popped off a few times, but it's usually because the shock was completely collapsed and bottomed out against the cap. I'm not sure your setup can physically do that, also this is the first 5100 I've seen with this problem, so FWIW consider giving the parts another shot.

You are not the first to experience a fallen coil support, however.

The alternative, unfortunately, starts around 700$ IIRC...because it includes a pair of new springs as well as new shocks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have stewed over this for too long. Finally decided to just put on a new Bilstein and see if lightening strikes twice.

I was ready to spend the $500 - 700 for the toytecs but they are still reliant on the glorified C clip coil support as well. I was happy with the ride and additional lift I had with the stock spring so I can't see the benefit of buying toytecs for my situation.

Thanks for all the wisdom and advice from everyone!!!

Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was doing some off roading about a month ago, nothing too crazy but it was OK then. Just last weekend I was driving down the road and I heard it snap, it was lodged in there so good that I drove it home with no problems. It is wrong that it happened twice, I wonder if something is bent or out of line with the suspension, putting extra stress on the shock. Bilstein is looking at the photos to see if it is covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Do you have any sort of spacer lift?

·
Registered
374 Posts
What about when you had the stock trd bilsteins....did you have a spacer?

What setting to you have the 5100's on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes, I added a spacer to the stock shocks, when it broke I replaced both the front shocks with the new bilstein's, I think they are set on 2.5". it rides at the same height as the spacers that were 2.5".

·
Registered
79 Posts
Almost every time I hear about a 5100 breaking it seems to be a install error. Many times its the spacer/ shock combo that was the problem. But 9 out of 10 times its not a Bilstein warranty issue, its customer error. :cool:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Reviving from the abyss... Because I have the same issue. Front Billy 5100's with Toytec coils on second notch. I've been running these about 2 years or so and just noticed the front passenger side was soaked in oil and the top cap is floating around on the shaft. I'm rarely off road and when I do it's mostly forest roads. I have a winch and full Warn trans4mer setup installed but I wouldn't think that would cause this.

Is this dangerous to drive? Just looking to see what's happened with anyone else that may have encountered this. That Slee OME setup is looking more appealing by the minute. Not currently in the budget though..

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,540 Posts
I'd bet that the OP had the lower spring perch cup installed upside down. The cone is supposed to face UP and encompass the c-clip. There's no way that the c-clip can slip out of its notch if the spring perch is installed correctly.

Those pics of the catastrophic failure of the strut's lower peg shaft is disconcerting. That is the same design used on the 4Runners, Gen-2 Tundras, etc. It looks like a weak point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts