Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone every had to replace the rear window on a camper shell? ARE Z series to be specific? Got one quote from am ARE dealder for $500 and they replace the whole frame. I have all the hardward and could do it myself.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Anyone every had to replace the rear window on a camper shell? ARE Z series to be specific? Got one quote from am ARE dealder for $500 and they replace the whole frame. I have all the hardward and could do it myself.
They are probably specific to the topper. Maybe the manufacturer would sell directly to you, but I doubt it. I knocked the frameless window out of a Leer topper one time & it was $500. I installed it myself (drill out the old rivets, pop rivet the new one in). I saved all of $50 doing it myself.

·
Registered
93 Posts
check the classified for used caps maybe?? just an idea....maybe you can find a used cap cheep and 'frankenstein" the window onto your cap?

like i said...just an idea. check craigslist.com and ebay

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called ARE, they said contact a dealer and were not very helpful.
Dealer say they only stock the replacement units which include the hardware.
I thought that the window would be from an available source with common dimensions like a GM SUV size. Maybe not.

I bought the shell used so I will still be getting a deal since these are over $1K new.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Continental that I had to replace the gate on twice. The first time, insurance paid it ($300), so when I broke it again, I went to my dealer and had them put a new gate on. Submitted the claim, and it rejected, so I was out $300. The bad thing is, I went up there to fix the gate because the shell will not fit on my new truck. I'd been better to just take the entire thing to the dump. I only fixed it because I knew I'd never sell it w/ a broken door. I'll be lucky to get $300 for the entire shell now, just to break even. The insurance companies do not look at camper glass they way they do windshields and "factory" glass. It's an accessory. My new one is covered.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I've got a snugtop and never had a problem. You might try a glass shop, they could give you a cheaper price... never know.
Yes. Try a glass shop. It's straight (non-curved) glass, right?

I was in local a glass shop last year getting glass for my basement windows, and I saw a gray tinted glass in the shape of a truck cap back window. So those guys can do that for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try asking these folks for a reference answer to your problem, they are usually very thoughtful and helpful.
1) Washtenaw Glass Co
They are a family owned, "olde timey" kind of highly skilled and knowledgable company in our little town of Saline, Michigan.
Washtenaw Glass Co.
Address: 414 Bemis Rd, Saline, MI 48176
(734) 429-7500 in Saline, MI. 48176
Hours:
Opens 8AM - 5pm Tue
Saline, for the uninitiated, is a small, pleasant town next door to (Ann Arbor MI. the home of the Univ. of Michigan), located about 50 miles southwest of Detroit, specifically south of I-94 and west of US-23 highways.
2) Henderson Glass Co. in Ann Arbor, MI. another major glass purveyor.
I hope these folks can help you solve your problem.
Best regards, Walter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts