Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Broken camshaft on new 07--what to do?

32K views 202 replies 77 participants last post by  slackjaw07 
#1 ·
Yes, the title is right. Broken camshaft on the new 5.7 L.

Going down the freeway w/ cruise set at 70 & started loosing speed & had to pull over. I then started it about 10 more times so i could get off the freeway & put it on the flatbed & towed it to SLC with my bro's tundra.

They do not know why it happened. Maybe overtorqued bolts, maybe it was dropped during assembly. They will be tearing into the heads in the morning & i'll know more then. I was told if something else caused it to break, then toyota will more than likely send out a new motor.

Should i demand a new motor?

Or, should i demand an extended warranty?

I feel like i should be concerned with future potential problems. And i think i should demand something.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

#3 ·
Demand a new motor? I would atleast! If it were me i would demand a new truck! Have you done anything extreme with the truck lik lots of towing or towing before break in period? How many miles do you have on it? Glad i sprung for the extended warranty ;)

#6 ·
3000 miles, no heavy towing until 1800 miles & it was only 4-5k lbs. Changed the oil at 850 miles, then went full synthetic at 2500 miles.

After seeing the mess with my brand new $35k truck. I am going to demand at least an extended powertrain warranty. Just to be safe.

But i'm sure toyota will step up to the plate. And they better. The customer service at Karl Malone has been great.

I don't know if they would go for a new truck, but this was my first reaction.

I was told the motor alone is about $20,000. Dunno

Anyone have the customer service phone number for Toyota?

#7 ·
I always cringe when I see people writing to tell you to Demand a new this or that. I know it is easy for me to say but crap happens. Let the guys fix it how they see fit. It will still be under warranty for years to come. You love your truck, heck I love your truck. Its not worth the aggravation to get into a pissin contest with the dealership...........yet. Lets see what happens. My opinion and I am sticking to it.
Cheers.

#8 ·
I always cringe when I see people writing to tell you to Demand a new this or that. I know it is easy for me to say but crap happens. Let the guys fix it how they see fit. It will still be under warranty for years to come. You love your truck, heck I love your truck. Its not worth the aggravation to get into a pissin contest with the dealership...........yet. Lets see what happens. My opinion and I am sticking to it.
Cheers.
Hey....i have come to expect a quality vehicle that doesn't leave me stranded when i purchase toyota products. This is the first one. I have owned about 12-16 toyota vehicles since 1988. So i am going to put up a stink. Not with the dealership by any means, but i will b!tch up a storm at Cust. service.
The dealership is doing what they should & they're treating me very well.

Yeah, $hit happens. But i must say, this is a first for me with toyota.

#10 ·
mln...you should be the last to talk with all the bickering you have done....:cry: :cry: :cry: . OTFM has been here for much longer than you or I. He doesn't need a video with sound to prove anything.
I think MLN was j/k. Since several have attacked him..maybe just some comic relief due to OTFM's demise with his camshaft and everything...am i right? ;)

#12 ·
toyota has never built a mass produced motor this powerful, in saying that , you have to understand outsourcing, toyota cannot control every machine process. case and point, look at how many $25-50k race engines break, even though that part was designed to live in that enviroment, things just happen. just think in two years toyota may go to direct injection(20hp) increase

#13 ·
There is no way this could happen. Toyota has been building high performance engines for years without a single problem. We won't believe it until we see video proof (with sound)!

You my friend are a liar! Go back to your Chevy, Ford or Dodge forum from wence you came. Go troll someplace else come back when you actually own a 2007 Tundra!
MLN, I love your sense of humor, this is exactly what I expected you to say. BTW how is the old piston slapper doing? I am also originally from MN so I can appreciate a little sarcasm.

Yes all trucks will break. You don't want Toyota stealing Maytag's advertising do you?

#14 ·
There is no way this could happen. Toyota has been building high performance engines for years without a single problem. We won't believe it until we see video proof (with sound)!

You my friend are a liar! Go back to your Chevy, Ford or Dodge forum from wence you came. Go troll someplace else come back when you actually own a 2007 Tundra!
Lick me mln.

I guess you didn't see my picture in my garage. You blind?

#17 ·

Good one, MLN. You may have wanted to install a "sarcasm" rolly-eye smile icon on the end of that post to try to limit the enevitability that the sarcasm is lost to some readers.

With this thread and the one on the transmission swap by Toyota maybe it's time I look into one of those extended warranty thingys.

#20 ·
I doubt that your demand for a new truck will get you anything but it will make you angry when they don't comply. Ask them to install a complete new engine. If they refuse the new engine request, let them fix the current engine and then request Toyota to supply a free extended 100k mile warranty - top of the line with no deductible. That will demonstrate their confidence in their repairs. At any time you are not happy with what the dealership tells you, request a meeting with the Toyota Zone Manager. Explain your concerns politely but firmly and I bet Toyota will bend over backwards to make you happy. Sorry but a new truck won't happen. Good Luck and keep us posted. :tu:

#21 ·
Most likely they'll put a new engine in it as Toyota wants to find out the cause of the failure. And if you're really lucky and nobody is experienced to work on this new engine, they might just give you a new truck. Pls keep us posted.
They told me if they find something that caused the camshaft to break, they will put in a new motor.

The techs seemed to know what they were doing, but who knows. They had the whole engine tore out today & they replaced my broken back window.

I'll post the prediction tomorrow for you all.

I appreciate all the CREDIBALE posts. This is what i was looking for, Thanks everyone!

#22 ·
Hey....i have come to expect a quality vehicle that doesn't leave me stranded when i purchase toyota products. This is the first one. I have owned about 12-16 toyota vehicles since 1988. So i am going to put up a stink. Not with the dealership by any means, but i will b!tch up a storm at Cust. service.
The dealership is doing what they should & they're treating me very well.

Yeah, $hit happens. But i must say, this is a first for me with toyota.
If you want to get anything or anywhere with tms customer service, start by being friendly and nice. Also know before you call what you want from them (help paying for a broken window?). Be realistic about what you are asking for and I am sure they will work with you.

A new truck, isn't going to happen.

#23 ·
If you want to get anything or anywhere with tms customer service, start by being friendly and nice. Also know before you call what you want from them (help paying for a broken window?). Be realistic about what you are asking for and I am sure they will work with you.

A new truck, isn't going to happen.
Yeah, i'm with you. I will start out nice & hope for the best. I'm glad you mentioned the window, thanks. I'll do that.

Probably won't get a new truck. It would be cool though.

Thanks

#25 ·
If this is one of the first documented cases, they will do a post-mortem on the engine, which means that they will probably give you a new one. They need to find out what caused it so that they can prevent it from happening to others. Either with a recall or service bulliten. They will want to find out ASAP so as not to ruin their reptuation for reliability.

#26 ·
I would insist on a new engine, you don't know what metal shavings and other pieces went through your engine when that camshaft broke. I had a gear go out on the manual transmission on my 94 pick up. They replaced the broken gear under warranty, but at about 110,000 miles the next gear went, and I had to pay to put a used tranny in my truck. Expensive lesson learned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.