Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if any one had problems with end links for rear Helwig sway bars. I installed it about a year ago on my 2003 Tundra and it was ok for about 8 months. For the last 3 months I broke 3 endlinks, two on the driver side and one on the passenger side. Last time it broke I had the mechanic loosen all bolts to make sure the bar did not shift and it sits flat, it still broke. Now I took the entire thing out, did not see any marks on the rear axle that would indicate a shift. I had the u-bolts double "nutted" everything seemed to be ok and tight. Helwig did send me one set replacement links of no charge. The set they sent was a little heavier than the original but it still broke.

Thanks Steve

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
do you off road. if you do that is the problem. i heard you can't off road with the original 1's. now the new type can be used for all 3 types:
street, lift's & drop kit set up's.
gorilla
just a thought.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
GOrilla, please stop bumping all these hellwig threads. We know your excited, but there's no need to say the same thing in each thread.
That's was so funny I guess he looked up helwig and said let me bump it:pound: Sorry GORILLA but Tundrenalin just made it sound so funny:pound:

·
Forum Admin
8,265 Posts
They have since redesigned the anti-swaybar for the Gen1 Tundra. The hardware I got with my #7700 bar looks to be beef. I have not had any problems with it. If you DO have problems, I suggest you utilize the phone# in the post above. That's the line to talk with Hellwig directly.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I have found their fit and finish to be consistently below average. Be prepared for cutting / grinding when installing a Hellwig product.

·
Forum Admin
8,265 Posts
I have found their fit and finish to be consistently below average. Be prepared for cutting / grinding when installing a Hellwig product.
I disagree. The 7700 bar went on without any manipulation. The powder coat paint was superb as well.

If you have to cut or grind anything, you probably bought the wrong swaybar.

·
Registered
91 Posts
We have redesigned the rear sway bar for the 1st gens - p/n 7700 is an adjustable rsb which includes adjustable end links. We also offer an upgrade kit for the early 7641 sway bars which have the threaded end links. Part number is 7975 and includes hd end links, clevises, and all required hardware for the conversion. Price is $30.

7975 HD end link conversion kit

7700 New Design sway bar for 1st Gen Tundra

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
Dave,
I like the updated endlink setup you show in your post. I have had my Helwig on my truck for 6 or 7 years (100,000 miles+) now without any problems. I will have to say this mod was the one that made the most difference in the handling of my truck. Please let me know where I can order that new endlink setup for my '01 2wd. Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Contact us directly for the end link upgrade kit as it is a service item. We are offering it for the owners of the original kits with threaded end links that need a stronger end link for their application/usage.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have had my Rear Hellwig bar for several months now and it was a breeze to install. Paint is fine quality ( no rust so far) and the handling of the truck is MUCH improved. :wave:

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
Dave,
I like the updated endlink setup you show in your post. I have had my Helwig on my truck for 6 or 7 years (100,000 miles+) now without any problems. I will have to say this mod was the one that made the most difference in the handling of my truck. Please let me know where I can order that new endlink setup for my '01 2wd. Thanks.
I talked to Dave on Monday and he was very helpfull and got my endlink upgrade in the mail to me. :tu:

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
We have redesigned the rear sway bar for the 1st gens - p/n 7700 is an adjustable rsb which includes adjustable end links. We also offer an upgrade kit for the early 7641 sway bars which have the threaded end links. Part number is 7975 and includes hd end links, clevises, and all required hardware for the conversion. Price is $30.

7975 HD end link conversion kit

7700 New Design sway bar for 1st Gen Tundra

Thanks Dave,

Ill give you a call later on today to order the new links. Im not sure what model I have but I am on file with you guys on warrenty issues.

Erik

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i am wondering how a hellwig can brake, other than hitting something or taking the tundra off road.
the reason i say this ,is because i have tested this product to the limit's. i tried drifting, and corning at incredible force's. that most wouldn't attempt.
with no ill effect's so far. nothing has rusted or none of the bushing have broke, nor any part's.
i'm not saying it isn't possible. but i wonder how some of you have broken your's.
i totally understand, if you did not want to post why, or what happened as to why. but i'd love to know.
what's even better is , that HELLWIG ask's no questions, they just mail out whatever you need. to me that is a company that i support and will always continue to push there products, not only because they act , but they make a awesome product.
gorilla

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I disagree also! This was the first Mod I did to my Tundra back in the day and with 150K on it now it has given me no problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts