Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Funny- I got the oposite story at the spring shop yesterday. I was asking about having them do the Chevy spring swap, and was told they see way more broken Chevy and Ford springs than Toyotas, and were shocked that I would want to do such a thing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Funny- I got the oposite story at the spring shop yesterday. I was asking about having them do the Chevy spring swap, and was told they see way more broken Chevy and Ford springs than Toyotas, and were shocked that I would want to do such a thing.

What kind of chevy spring swap you looking to do on a tundra? I know about the 63" chevy leafs for swapping under old pickups, you just have to weld on a forward mount. Never heard of one for Tundras :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
What kind of chevy spring swap you looking to do on a tundra? I know about the 63" chevy leafs for swapping under old pickups, you just have to weld on a forward mount. Never heard of one for Tundras :D
The same one- aparently one just positions the brackets a bit differently.

the shop owes me a favour, so I'm going to let them rearch and add a leaf on their dime. I'll porbably add airbags as well. If this doesn't do it, I'll swap in the chevy packs I have here in the garage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
YOTAtoy~
Hey thanks abunch for the info.. ive been lookin and lookin but i think my question was too broad to find answer.. Im trying to stay away from the block trick seen that fail too many times with other people..
So now with the AAL how do you determine which "main(?)" leaf i would need.. ALL the stupid leafs are broken in the packs on both ends.. (main refering to the one with the bushings bolting to the truck)... Just measure the one i have now(broken)?? or do they categorized by part numbers for 3" lifting AAL??
Next question how can i determain how much total bed weight i can handle wit the new packs so that i dont over load it..(father likes the truck too much and usin a truck for what a truck is!!lol)

Thanks again fro all your help!!
Crew

PS Find ne one knowledgeable with the coil overs?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a middle leaf spring brake on my 2000 Tundra a few years ago as well. It was knocking on my shock in rear passenger side. I was told to replace both sides because of uneven load and stuff. A mechanic was going to look for a used set from down south, Instead I had a shop cut a new piece of non Mexico steel (USA stuff) and replace the broken leaf. I think it cost my about $150 bucks. Simple. For what it's worth that's what I did to fix my truck. :clown:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well I just fixed mine last night.

The junk yard had a scrap pile of leafs that were going to the scrap yard and wereent inventoried, so I measured and fond a pack with the right size leaf, the owner was cool and told me to just have it for free. I opened up the pack and got my leaf, then opened the pack on my truck and removed broken leaf and placed new leaf back in.

It wasnt a very hard job, assuming you have the right tools.

Tools I needed were :

LOTS of PB
Impact Gun
Long Breaker Bar
Dremel
Grinder
Big Hammer
Chisel (used as a wedge when cutting off nuts)
2 Floor Jacks
2 Jack Stands
Misc. Sockets
2 C Clamps

Thats what I used, you may need more or less depending on your situation, the grinder and dremel were key for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Two guys I know here in Maine had spring failures on early model Tundras with about 150k on the odometer and have warned me to be ready for this myself.

I used to have a 1/2 ton GMC w/ 3/4 ton rear springs so I wondered if you could do the same w/ the Tundra. Where GM made both 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks, it was an easy swap. Not so w/ the Tundra...

There is a place that makes custom springs for Tundras (Alcan Spring - Manufactures Fine Custom Leaf Springs) but they likely aren't the only place. It sounded like they perhaps have done it a number of times whereas my local spring shop would not have had that experience. I have not done this modification but my understanding w/ springs in areas that apply road salt is that it's not so much a matter of "if" than "when" so this heavier option may appeal to folks who consistently load their Tundras. The first price was for a custom spring at 3/4 ton; the second was a 'heavier' spring than stock. Information was from Alcan Spring dated 8/25/2010.

"At Alcan Spring we custom build our springs to fit your Toyota by using information you give us about its weight distribution, lift requirements, and how you plan to use it. The cost of the springs: $ 277.00 each rear spring. They come with bushings and take about 3-4 weeks to design and build. The cost is for an 8 leaf spring setup for the weight you are dealing with, but that weight needs to be there all the time. We can also make a stock style spring in a HD if you would like. They cost 250.00 each side. HD is just Heavy Duty. Since empty is were you are most of the time that is how I would figure to build the spring and depending on what your extra weight is I would suggest an Over Load like Timbren which you can look up on line. This would set you up to haul most any thing.

If you have any other questions please feel free to email or give us a call at 1-888-321-0870. When you are ready to order please call us so we can discuss any particulars you have for the performance of your springs."

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in the same boat bought my truck used and both leaf packs cracked down the middle jus about the axle between the 2 u-bolts. Ive been looking and looking gettin ready to pull my hair out.. I cant find a complete pack online.. Im deployed, going home soon and would like to order a set ASAP. WHERE can i find em!?!? Thank you in advance my hair appreciates it..lol

·
Registered
440 Posts
Crew Chief,

You can check out redirect, they make springs and have lots of local distributors to order from.

You are going to spend a pretty nickel though on trying to get brand new springs. Not to mention the fact that generally the bolts that go through the bushings and springs are seized up. The one I just replaced was between the U bolts. Just crawl under and take your measurements, then go to a local scrap yard and tell them you jsut need 2 leafs and your measurements, usually they have a pile of scrap metal that contains packs with a broken leaf or un-inventoried packs. Just go pack and start measuring till you find a 2 leafs the right length, width, and thickness.

Then drop the nuts off U-bolts, Clamp springs, take out center bolt, unclamp spings, remove and replace broken leafs, clamp back, install new grade 8 bolt in center (go to ACE, etc.), reinstall U-bolts.

This would be your cheapest option, one of the local yards actually gave me the spring I needed for free, which helps on my E4 salary :) and they earned my return business.

You a 60 crew chief?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

I just had a leaf replaced in my driver side leaf spring pack.

I searched here and didn't find any other mentions of this, however, my local toyota dealer, the spring shop and several other local Toyota owners I know have had the same problem - both Tundras and Tacomas. My mailman has a tacoma and said he goes through a set of springs every year. The spring shop says they do them all the time - mine was one of two that were in for leaf spring replacement that morning, in fact.

Has anyone else here had this happen?

I wonder if it is the dirt roads/salt/or something around here or if it is a more widesperead problem.

I debated getting some new Deaver spring packs, but the price including freight (and the reduction in load capacity) worried me. When the next set breaks I may price a set of custom Alcans or have a set made locally.

Thanks,
Charlie

I just bought my 2011 Tundra in November. I heard a rattle at least a week and a half ago and noticed the exact same issue.... 2nd leaf up from the bottom on the driver side/rear was cracked in half and just dangling. I have been researching like mad trying to find a mechanic that will fix it for a fair price. I have driven 25 year old rust buckets and never seen this happen. I checked to see if there were recalls and sure enough there is a recall for the same year Tacoma leaf springs but not for the tundra... made me suspicious and I am trying to see who else has this issue.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts