Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
860 Posts
Nice post! I could use the DVD and the backup camera for sure. STILL won't let me send you points (whats with that anyway? I can understand it not letting you 'point' someone 10 times, but 2-3 times could be deserved?). Bull bar looks nice too. Thought they were way more than that.

· Registered
860 Posts
Love the Toyota backup camera too, even though I don't use the one in my TL. Just more comfortable with turning around, it's hard for me to watch a screen while backing up :)
I understand, but turning around doesn't suddenly reveal what is in that massive blind spot behind any truck. It's exagerated by the fact that our driveway starts to slope down after a short while, so something the height of a small child can be completely invisible.

· Registered
860 Posts
i was gonna say i dunno...cause thats my throw down answer for most things. :) who knows if chinese IR signals are the same as all the others hahaha
Chinese is prolly the ONLY kind of IR signal there is!! All them dooda's seem to be made there now.

BTW, ordered a backup camera set yesterday. Tried 75 bucks, 80 bucks. Both declined. Then got bored of it and just put in $100. That did the job.

· Registered
860 Posts
Well, I finally put in that 100 buck monitor camera thing and it works a treat. Also, turns out that the other (red) plug coming out of the monitor supplies 12v. And as the video cable and this power lead are all integrated into one cable running down the truck, I was able to use the supplied adapter at the other end. So both the video and the power are able to be easily unplugged if need be.

Hardest part of the whole install was getting the damn video cable through the big grommet in the firewall. There is probably another (easier) route, but that seemed the most obvious.

Thanks again for the thread!!

· Registered
860 Posts
you are welcome, thats what this place is for. did yours come with all sorts of extra connectors and wires and crap too? where did u mount your camera?
Oh yeah! it came with a LOT of connectors and wires. I ended up mounting mine right where you mounted yours. Seemed like the best place. Any higher and the tailgate would hit it when it opened.

I did contemplate seeing if I could open the camera case and integrate it into one of those Tundra camera tailgate handles (a lot of them on sale without the actual camera) , but thought better of it in the end.

· Registered
860 Posts
the only thing ive found now, is that its hard to judge distance with the hitch....which is why i wanted it...if its up in the stock location u get a birds eye type of view that shows distance better.....but i still like mine for now....if i come across one of the rostra ones that mounts in the handle cheap ill change but for now its fine. cant beat the price though.
Yeah, that's the downside of these fisheye lenses. Mounted there, you are really close to the hitch, so the barrel distortion (i think thats what they call it) is pretty pronounced.

BUT, it give a great field of view, works even in low light, color monitor (like that really matters, but I'll take it!), easy install, unbelievable value and you'll soon be able to judge the hitch just fine.

I mean, a hundred bucks??? For a factory look in the cab? You can barely buy one of those nasty cheapo wireless backup cameras for that.

Now I gotta think about those DVD headrest things. Only thing is the inside of my cab is grey cloth. but they seem to have all sorts on line.

· Registered
860 Posts
Awesome deal man. How hard is it to wire in the backup monitor and camera? Looks very sharp. I got the same bull bar on ebay, easy install and looks good.
Very easy. As 07DCWhiteSR5 said, the hardest part is getting the video cable from the monitor to the camera. Basically the transition from 'inside the cab' to 'outside the cab'. Other than that, it's really a cakewalk.

And when mounting the camera, just be aware of how the tailgate moves. Otherwise you might be tempted to put it in the space between the 'gate and the camera. I nearly did until I thought 'Why didn't 07DC put HIS there? He musta had a reason.... Let me just do a test open of the tailgate.....'

Its a fabulous mod for the money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.