Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the deal. My one buddy who drives a 1 ton Dodge stops over to check out my new DC Tundra. After checking it out, the first words he says are, "you know, on the Dodge boards, the guys with those bug guards are getting 2 to 3 less MPG than without them....."

Well, I figured since he drove a Dodge, what could he know and I just passed on the comment. But it did make me think (and it hurt). I cannot believe that by having a shield on the grille makes that much of a difference. The truck came with it from Toyota and originally I did not like it. But now, after two weeks, I like how it keeps the windshield fairly clean and it does protect the leading edge of the hood against rock chips. It matches the curves of the hood and grille really nice.

Maybe those Dodge boys still run with the shields that are 6" tall and stick straight up.

Opinions? Thanks.

Donald

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
Seriously doubt it would cause a 2-3 mpg drop, let alone a 1 mpg drop the wind resistance just isn't there. :nerd:

I put one of those contoured shields on the 4Runner and it had zero effect on mileage, still got 22-24 mpg on the freeway.

·
Premium Member
5,456 Posts
I agree with Hank and Charlie. I put them on my Dodge and it made not difference at all. They also didn't help much with the bug problem.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
dodge guys are dumb. :)

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts

I wish I had put these bug deflectors sooner not after I got 2 small rock chips on the windshield. Our bug deflectors are not that steep to cause a lot of mpg loss.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Whoa! I can't imagine anything that small causing 2-3 MPG loss....lifts, tires, heavy acceleration, and extra load/fat passengers can do that! Not a simple deflector. Dodge guy is tooting your horn.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for your comments. I agree, I just cannot imagine a lose like that in mileage.

The only reason this guy is my buddy is that I feel sorry for him having to drive a Dodge...

·
Registered
58 Posts

I wish I had put these bug deflectors sooner not after I got 2 small rock chips on the windshield. Our bug deflectors are not that steep to cause a lot of mpg loss.

What brand bug shield is that ?? I like it .

·
Registered
935 Posts
"you know, on the Dodge boards, the guys with those bug guards are getting 2 to 3 less MPG than without them....."

Opinions? Thanks.
Don't think so. Mine broke after 100,000kms - instead of replacing it I got the clear shield. Haven't noticed my mileage increase.

·
Registered
935 Posts
"you know, on the Dodge boards, the guys with those bug guards are getting 2 to 3 less MPG than without them....."
So according to the mileage calculations they usually boast about, that would drop them down to what... 31.73 MPG?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts