Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need some help. Right now I have a stock 2002 Tundra, Im looking on going up to 33's and I want to know exactly what I need to achieve this without rubbing. I will only do the bare minimum for now but later on I plan on going with Fox coilovers and rear shocks as well as an add a leaf and a 1.00 uniball upper arms. But for now, what do I need to be able to clear them and still do a little off roading on the weekends? Im very new to lifting so any information will be appreciated! thanks!!!

-Jon

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,559 Posts
33s are going to rub unless you do a buttload of modification. At a minimum, you're looking at a lift and modifications to the pinch weld (read: hammering the **** out of it). Depending on the tire, hub spacers might be required as well. Uniball UCAs have additional caster built in, but you might be looking at rubbing at the frame at full lock then.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I rub in the front with 5100's all the way up, 2 inch wheel spacers (stock wheels) and i hammed the inner fender wheel near the drivers door (not the passenger for some reason) and i still rub and ended up cutting most the inner fender well out on my first off road trip to get rid of the noise. also had to cut the front bumper a bit but that wasn't as bad as the back side of the wells. Backs have plenty of room.

I ended up 2.75 inches over stock in the front and 2.25 in the rear at the end of the lift. A 1 inch body lift is on the agenda for this winter. should take care of everything plus give me a little more rear clearance before i stuff the tire while flexing out. I'm running 285/75R16 general grabber AT2s (33.1 dia, 11.3 wide)

FYI, youre going to tear your CV boots with a lift even with a 1" diff drop.... its going to happen, start with the boot mod but check them often. With the age of the vehicle they're probably dried out like mine and will fail.

·
Registered
515 Posts
33s are going to rub unless you do a buttload of modification. At a minimum, you're looking at a lift and modifications to the pinch weld (read: hammering the **** out of it). Depending on the tire, hub spacers might be required as well. Uniball UCAs have additional caster built in, but you might be looking at rubbing at the frame at full lock then.
As usual, Remmy speaks the truth. You may also want to consider a narrower (than the usual 285) tire to try and avoid rubbing.

What I found is at the end of the day, no one will be able to tell you for sure if your projected setup will give you clearance issues. Search and read threads about lifting, tire size and wheel offset to make an informed decision on your purchase. It also helps if you find a local shop that is willing to do a test fit before your purchase.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts