Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to add a bull bar to my 09 Tundra and was wondering if how hard is it to install? I would really like to just order it online and install it myself. Let me know

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
It was really easy to install. There was only one thing that took me a few extra minutes.... moving my license plate holder from the bumper to the front of the bull bar... here's a pic...

:yo:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Simple install. Basically take off the tow hooks and bolt up the bull bar. Bull bar should have room for adjustment so you can adjust the angle of it and how close it sits to the bumper. No license plate or bracket here...no lights either, simple as can be.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Which bar did you guys end up going with and are you happy with it? I might get one too but I don't want to get one that's going to rust. Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think this is one of the easiest things to install on our trucks. Hardest part may be loosening the bolts around your tow hooks! WD40 does a great job. I bought a used Aries bar and no issues so far. Simple chrome/metal polish keeps it shiny and smooth.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i am getting a used ARB bull bar soon. it looks very baaaaaaad @$$

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
30 minute job if you have the tools. Like mentioned above the tow hook nuts take a little muscle to break. After that it is all down hill.

·
Registered
818 Posts
It was really easy to install. There was only one thing that took me a few extra minutes.... moving my license plate holder from the bumper to the front of the bull bar... here's a pic...

:yo:
That looks awesome!!! Do you have a side view picture of the bull bar on your truck? Is that the OEM license plate frame? I went ahead and mounted my license plate bracket so I hope that the bull bar would cover the holes should I choose to install. Nice work.

Matt

·
Registered
818 Posts
BTW...what switch did you use inside the truck...the Piaa provided switch or an OEM Toyota switch? Where did you locate it? Great job!!!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Here's a side pic.....

:photo:

I used the PIAA two button switch and mounted on the right side of the steering wheel below the other switched.......

:thumb:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Do you by any chance have a closeup pic of the license plate bracket from the side? Is it the OEM Toyota bracket that mounts to the front bumper? I'm wondering if the holes will show in my bumper if I move it to the front of the bull bar.

Also...what brand is that...Aries, Westin, etc? Looks great. Good job!!!

Matt

·
Registered
818 Posts
In my '01 4Runner, I used an OEM Toyota switch for all my Piaa auxiliary lights. Looked awesome having all the switches look the same. I'm curious if that switch will fit the opening in our Tundra dash. Here's a pic of it on another web site...

Toyota OEM Fog Light Switch

Part number is 00550-35976. Curious if it will fit the dash opening in the new Tundra.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Let em see if I can get to all the questions....

- It is the OEM license plate bracket, but I had to buy long stainless steel bolts and washers to hold the bracket on the bull bar.
- No side pics of the bracket, it's very tight in behind there.
- If the holes are in the black portion of the bumper, the bull bar will probably cover it.
- An OEM switch will not work for my lights since there are two lights in the one housing, but only one set comes on at a time. The two lights (LEDs) in the center of the housing are actually marker lights.
- It's an Aries bar.

Hope this helps......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts