Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at a Steelcraft Bullbar online. Did anyone put one of these on a 2007 and have to take their factory skidplate off to get it to work? Directions say it ill not work w/ factory skidplate.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Yep i had to take my skid plate off to put the bull bar on.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If your not really doing any off roading the skid plate isn't really a necessity, however it does add a nice degree of protection and mines saved me from doing some damage to the truck before. The only reason i stay away form these things is they either cause you to loose your tow hooks or skid plate, two things im not willing to loose.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I too would never give up a skid plate or tow hooks. The skid plate really helps redirect dirt, debris, snow, and water away from the engine area for the off roading enthusiasts or the just wana hit a dirt road, snow drift or a very deep puddle on occasion! If you are defiantly installing the Steelcraft Bullbar, I would suggest getting a skid plate fabbed up to replace the one your are removing.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I too would never give up a skid plate or tow hooks. The skid plate really helps redirect dirt, debris, snow, and water away from the engine area for the off roading enthusiasts or the just wana hit a dirt road, snow drift or a very deep puddle on occasion! If you are defiantly installing the Steelcraft Bullbar, I would suggest getting a skid plate fabbed up to replace the one your are removing.
Yea id say the same thing or try and modify the existing one that came with the truck, id never ditch my skid plate for a bull bar.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I also would not give up the little engine protection the skid plate provides for something that is just for looks.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Why even bother with one of those silly things? They won't provide any protection beyond parking lot mishaps, and only then if they are basically head on. Not even a real bull bar, a real bull bar is a complete replacement bumper that is made like a battering ram.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, I have to agree with you all. Stay with the skid plate and ditch the bull bar idea. Thanks for all of your input.

·
Registered
7 Posts
FWIW - I'm not sure how different the 2010 Tundra is from the 2007, but I just put a steelcraft bull bar on my 2010 and didn't have to remove anything. I was concerned about the note on steelcraft's website that the factory skid plate has to be removed, but upon further investigation found that they aren't referring to the standard black plastic undercarriage part, they are talking about an optional skid plate that comes equipped on some Tundras, which is funny because I special ordered my Tundra and don't even remember a skid plate as being one of the options they offered. The bull bar went on in about 20 minutes and was even easier than the matching step bars I put on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts