Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
888 Posts
Theres one here locally and its pretty goofy to say the least ......... Nissan wannabe ;) Why spend $250+ for something that will kill your front end instead of protect it ?

Damfino ?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Will these bars really protect your front clip or are they just a fancy place to hang your lights?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Theres one here locally and its pretty goofy to say the least ......... Nissan wannabe ;) Why spend $250+ for something that will kill your front end instead of protect it ?

Damfino ?
why would it kill your frontend? I must be missing something here

·
Registered
28 Posts
How does that effect the airbag system? Putting something like that up front i'm sure will alter the impact and possibly when the airbags deply. Just a thought guys...

MM:cool:

·
Registered
214 Posts
How does that effect the airbag system? Putting something like that up front i'm sure will alter the impact and possibly when the airbags deply. Just a thought guys...

MM:cool:
No different than a grill guard...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Minster,

The one on my truck was from Westin. It was only one of a few I could find chrome plated and not polished stainless. the good part was it carried a liftime warranty from place of purshase so I don't have to send back to Westin. I didn't get a price breakdown, but the side bars and the front bull bar cost me $1100.00 Cdn + taxes. It is solid as a rock, I can stand on it or jump, it is really solid. The skid plate in the middle is stainless stell about 1/8" thick, so I imagine if you hit something really hard it could dent it. the bars look like about the same, 3/16" thick appox. I was really impressed with it. No flaws in the finish, it came 100% and bolted on in 10 minutes. Now I have to get the lights on !!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
ARB ( ARB Air Locker Heavy Duty 4x4 Bumpers ) shows that they will offer a bull bar front bumper (winch mount built in) for the 07 Tundra but I don't see any photos on the web yet. Part number is TBA...that would be wicked on my DC TRD with a Warn 12,000 lb winch.

I had one of these on my Jeep and loved it, the thing I like best about ARB is not only are they fully functional bumpers/bull bars but they are the only company I know of that crash tests and takes into account crumple zones and airbag specifics of each vehicle.

From ARB site:
With an air bag equipped 4x4 it is essential that the vehicle's crush rate and air bag triggering is not altered when a bull bar is installed. To ensure compatibility, ARB assesses each vehicle's frontal crush characteristics and replicates the crush rate into the design of each air bag compatible bull bar and its mounting system. This method enables engineers to achieve maximum possible vehicle and passenger protection without affecting the crash pulse. ARB has invested heavily in vehicle crash barrier tests to validate the performance and compliance of its air bag compatible bull bars, and as a consequence, our bars offer a far greater level of protection than most standard brush guards and grille guards.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
why would it kill your frontend? I must be missing something here
It won't kill your front end...for folks like me who need some extra lighting, and some added barrier between branches, general debris, and cattle it works great. They work fine for moderate challenges. If you get into an accident, you get into an accident, things are going to get messed up.

I plan on getting one, and am not in the least worried about my front end...what I am worried about is the mounting location; I don't want to lose a recovery hook by installing a bull guard.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You are right the hooks needed to be removed, but I just took the hooks done to the local metal working shop and had them cut 3/8' of one side of the flange and they mounted right back on the truck over top the bull bar mounting flanges. i don't know about other types but that is what I did with the westin ones. If that helps. God you would think I have Westin shares or something....:D

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Damfino ?
Why spend $1100 on sound?

·
Registered
142 Posts
why would it kill the front end? They look awesome on the tacoma, well the westin bull bar does anyways some of the other brands look like crap though. but kill the front end? are you on crack?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I have been told that because the Bull Bar attaches to the frame where the airbag sensors are located, it's possible to tap something hard enough to cause the airbags to deploy when the normal bumper may not have caused the deployment. If this happens your insurance will not pay to replace the airbags because of the aftermarket Bull Bar. I really would like to add one but do not want to defeat any safety systems just for looks. Anyone know if this is true or just a bunch of hooey?

Thanks,
Tom-O

·
Registered
209 Posts
Strange, didn't know there were bulls in canada? No bulls here in Md.? Might find a deer trying to cross every once in a while. I saw a black highlander w/bullbar and black tints large chrome wheels with ventvisors and of course black front deflector-well you never get use to it-but sometimes you see some strange things in P.G. county. I laughed so hard I almost spit my coffee all over tundy!!!!!The little plate I got from toyo is fine for me-will run over and protect engine from any foreign??I mean domestic parts in the roadway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts