Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Bully Dog for fuel eco??

22K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  grunner30 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has installed a Bully Dog Tuner for fuel eco, not more power? I have read all the fuel eco tips and tricks, but it all comes down to shift points and engine rev's. If the Bully Dog or other turners can do this it should save some money at the gas pumps..... in theory anyway. The 5.7L is great when you want to pass anyone, but when you are just putt putting around town an extra Liter or gallon would go that extra KM or mile.

Thanks,

#2 ·
I have one in my 2014, but with the "Premium" tune and "Performance" shift points. Even with the increased performance, I am still averaging 1-2 mpg's better than the without the tuner. I would only imagine if you select a tune for "Economy" without any other things, you would definitely get better than 1-2.

Reactions: Nashdo
#3 ·
First off my apologies for raising up an old thread but does anyone have an update?
I'm interested in installing one on my 2014 CM.
It's been disappointing finding so little info so thought I'd ask in this case.

Average MPG is 13.8 to 14.2 combine. Highway is 15.2 sometimes.......so even 1 or 2 mpg would give me a grin.....
Anyways folks TIA....

#4 ·
I still have it and no problems. I'm running a BDS 7" lift with 35" tires. With the BullyDog tuner, I'm averaging 15 mpg's with the big tires. Just buy it, you'll be happy.

Reactions: RingSteel-1
#9 ·
Hey to all, I drive a 2013 5.7 4wd. 265-70-18 tires, true dual exhaust with a crossover pipe and K&N drop in filter. I average 18.5 on the Hi-way. I drive from Maryland to Michigan, and Maryland to North Carolina a lot so my numbers are good. Around town, here in the DC Metro average about 14.5/15. I have owned my truck (which I bought used) for four years, I do the math almost every time I fill up.

For a truck that weighs 5500 pounds The mileage I get is excellent. I do not know what the price of a "Bully Dog" tuner costs, but at 1-2 mpg's it's going to take a while to get your money back. And in my opinion there is NOTHING that is going to give you 3-4 more miles per gallon. IMO. Good luck, CSM-H

#10 ·
Hey to all, I drive a 2013 5.7 4wd. 265-70-18 tires, true dual exhaust with a crossover pipe and K&N drop in filter. I average 18.5 on the Hi-way. I drive from Maryland to Michigan, and Maryland to North Carolina a lot so my numbers are good. Around town, here in the DC Metro average about 14.5/15. I have owned my truck (which I bought used) for four years, I do the math almost every time I fill up.

For a truck that weighs 5500 pounds The mileage I get is excellent. I do not know what the price of a "Bully Dog" tuner costs, but at 1-2 mpg's it's going to take a while to get your money back. And in my opinion there is NOTHING that is going to give you 3-4 more miles per gallon. IMO. Good luck, CSM-H
Is your truck a regular cab that it only weighs 5500 pounds.Curb weight for a crewmax is 7200 and a double cab is 7000 if I am thinking correctly

#15 ·
Breathing life into an old thread here to see if a bully dog tuner is worth the $$$. If I can get an extra 2 MPG that sucker will pay for itself with "Thirsty" (my Tundra's name) over the course of a few months. I have a 2019 5.7 Crew Max with drop in K&N filter. I tow frequently. Love the truck. Hate the fuel bill. Just added slightly larger tires and lifted the front 2" (Rough Country strut). Have a vacation planned to tow a 23' Travel Trailer from FL to NM and camp out there for about a month. Anyhow, any useful input would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.