Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone looking for a relatively inexpensive reverse camera setup here you go. I bought the camera off Ebay for $45. It works well. In bright sunlight the screen will white out some but in most conditions it works good. At night it goes into nightvision mode and has a number of infrared leds that help illuminate what's behind you. The light from the backup lights and brake lights also helps out.
I mounted the camera on the plastic trim piece that goes around the license plate. The camera fits perfectly in that location. I ran the rca cables and power cables into the cab. On ebay the seller says that the camera can only handle 12v +/- 10% or a max of 13.2. Any more juice than that and I quess you can toaste the camera. When the truck is off it was putting out about 12.5 volts but once I turned it on it jumped to 13.5-.8. Luckily the stereo has a regulated output of 12.8v for the amp trigger. To activate the camera I have a simple toggle switch on the dash which sends power to the camera and the backup trigger to active the screen on my stereo. I am using a JVC KD-AVX1 head unit which I got from Frys for $299. It has a small screen but it works for me. There are more pics in my gallery.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Looks good. I really like your grill / light setup. What kind of grill is that?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Looks good. I really like your grill / light setup. What kind of grill is that?
same here. i was thinking of doing the same thing. but didn't think any lights would fit in there. i guess they do if you find the right ones....

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
nice, if you get a chance, post some of your screen pics too. id like to see where you mounted the lcd screen for some ideas.

... and another thanks for postin picks in your ts gallery, losta peeps use photobucket and sh!t. blocked from viewing at my work places.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah JVC screen works great. I thought about using a different stereo and installing a visor screen but this is a much easier install.
I custom made the grill on my truck and the brackets to mount the lights. I will do a seperate thread on those tomorrow.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thinking of getting the JVC unit and a camera. My question is, does the camera/screen come on automatically as soon as you are in reverse or you have to switch to camera mode manually?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thinking of getting the JVC unit and a camera. My question is, does the camera/screen come on automatically as soon as you are in reverse or you have to switch to camera mode manually?
You can choose how you want how you want the screen to come on. You can either push the Source button on the strero until you get to the audio video screen or have a trigger from the revese lights activate the screen. I used a toggle switch to turn both the camera and head unit on at the same time. I didn't want the screen and camera to come on every time I shifted from park to drive. Also most electronics do not like to be suddenly powered on and off like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts