Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm not the only one, but I don't see a lot of Tundras on the road with custom bumpers. The new Tundra has been out for 4 years now...why is this?

I'm looking for a front bumper replacement, and possibly rear too. On the front I'd like something solid, with a winch, tow hooks for tow straps, and mounts for fog lights. Bars to protect the grill and headlights would be a big plus.

So far I've seen pictures of the expedition one which looks cool, but visiting their website it doesn't look like they make it for the Tundra anymore. That leaves me with ARB, though I can't find much info online about it.

What front bumper and or rear bumpers did you choose? How is the fit and finish? How was the install? Thanks

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
If you want a pipe bumper for a fraction of the price of ARB and about half of what Road Armor costs, you can't beat Ranch Hand. South Texas Outfitters makes a 5" pipe bumper but not sure of the price on that. It is probably the most stout bumper for the Tundra, or at least it'll be about the heaviest. Their pipe bumper for the rear is sweet, but costs around 700.

Tough Country is a sweet looking bumper too. IT's a 4" 40 schedule pipe that wraps all the way around, btu they're expensive.

RH rear bumper is about 400-450 installed, and the front is probably about 800 for the part.

I know TC is more in the ARB range while the Road Armor is probably bout double. Depends on the look you're going for as well as the level of protection.

Hope that'll help ya.

-rockstate

·
Registered
265 Posts
Fab Fours makes a sick looking front & rear bumber for the Tundra and has all the features you are looking for. The only thing is they are uber-expensive. It's about $1k for the rear & $2k for the front, without the winch setup. I was thinking about getting the FF rear bumper for my truck...for about 2 minutes. IMO unless your a serious off-road enthusiast its not worth the money.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
how would i have known that rockstate would have replied to this thread after only 3 minutes of existence haha

Maybe I'm not the only one, but I don't see a lot of Tundras on the road with custom bumpers. The new Tundra has been out for 4 years now...why is this?
i think 90 percent of the tundra owners dont care for them. thats probally why.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have Expedition One front and rear winch bumpers and love them. They still make them too. I guess their website confuses everyone, give them a call if your interested.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
If you want a pipe bumper for a fraction of the price of ARB and about half of what Road Armor costs, you can't beat Ranch Hand. South Texas Outfitters makes a 5" pipe bumper but not sure of the price on that. It is probably the most stout bumper for the Tundra, or at least it'll be about the heaviest. Their pipe bumper for the rear is sweet, but costs around 700.

Tough Country is a sweet looking bumper too. IT's a 4" 40 schedule pipe that wraps all the way around, btu they're expensive.

RH rear bumper is about 400-450 installed, and the front is probably about 800 for the part.

I know TC is more in the ARB range while the Road Armor is probably bout double. Depends on the look you're going for as well as the level of protection.

Hope that'll help ya.

-rockstate
Do you work for RanchHand?? J/K I see a lot of ranch hand grill guards at work (AF Base) and they look great!

This one is pretty tough looking in this thread...
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/177881-finally-pictures-my-iron-bull-bumper/

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Do you work for RanchHand?? J/K I see a lot of ranch hand grill guards at work (AF Base) and they look great!

This one is pretty tough looking in this thread...
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/177881-finally-pictures-my-iron-bull-bumper/
Nah, but I'm a fan of the pipe bumpers. The Ranch Hand has given me good service and I've only heard good "stories" about the heavy duty grille guards. Deers, other cars, etc.

One of myf riends was pulling into a parking space and clipped a car the entire length. Did nothing to his grille guard (it was a Renegade).

Onthepointtundra's bumpers are the only ones I like that aren't ARB and that I'd actually buy (probably even more so than ARB, but his entire truck probably makes that).

-rockstate

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Nah, but I'm a fan of the pipe bumpers. The Ranch Hand has given me good service and I've only heard good "stories" about the heavy duty grille guards. Deers, other cars, etc.

One of myf riends was pulling into a parking space and clipped a car the entire length. Did nothing to his grille guard (it was a Renegade).

Onthepointtundra's bumpers are the only ones I like that aren't ARB and that I'd actually buy (probably even more so than ARB, but his entire truck probably makes that).

-rockstate
I never really considered getting a grille guard but now that my truck is leveled and with BFG's a Ranch Hand might look good. Might be a future mod... This site costs me too much money haha

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have Expedition One front and rear winch bumpers and love them. They still make them too. I guess their website confuses everyone, give them a call if your interested.
I think I will give them a call. If you don't mind, about what price range did the front/rear bumpers cost?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I think I will give them a call. If you don't mind, about what price range did the front/rear bumpers cost?
Two arms and a leg for the front, an arm and a leg for the rear. You will need to borrow an arm.

The front alone is a $1600 piece, thats raw without powdercoating, light bar, etc.

-Tim

·
Registered
265 Posts
Two arms and a leg for the front, an arm and a leg for the rear. You will need to borrow an arm.

The front alone is a $1600 piece, thats raw without powdercoating, light bar, etc.

-Tim
See if they will throw in a jar of Vaseline at no charge..... Of course you'll need to have a friend lube you up since you're minus two arms....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Front is around $1700 with all the options and rear is around $1200.

If you shop around they are all about the same price. I personally think EXP1 has the best bumpers for the Tundra, and some of the best service if you look at customer satisfaction. RA and Iron Bull would rank up there with the worst customer support a person could ever get.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Front is around $1700 with all the options and rear is around $1200.

If you shop around they are all about the same price. I personally think EXP1 has the best bumpers for the Tundra, and some of the best service if you look at customer satisfaction. RA and Iron Bull would rank up there with the worst customer support a person could ever get.
They sure do look good, but i could get a custom one built and have a warn winch and still come out $500 better. See below.

I had a custom bumper built on my jeep that looked great for about $450, where the ARB unit was double that and the Warn unit was 2x that as well.

My bumper looked better, IMO. Look how the fender hangs down all snaggletoothed under the bottom of the warn bumper because the bumper has funny lines, I trimmed my fender and my custom bumper hugged the fender and made the finished look a lot better. My bumper also kept the winch tucked down a little lower out of the way of the radiator (XJs have cooling issues as it is)

Warn bumper

My bumper

If you do want to drop the cash on a mail order bumper, i think The Arb for the tundra looks a little better than the expedition one. IMO it matches the beef of the truck better.

Just food for thought, I always prefer to support my local 4x shops rather than the big guys, they do a great job and the custom fit always looks better, imo

-Tim

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
They sure do look good, but i could get a custom one built and have a warn winch and still come out $500 better. See below.

I had a custom bumper built on my jeep that looked great for about $450, where the ARB unit was double that and the Warn unit was 2x that as well.

My bumper looked better, IMO. Look how the fender hangs down all snaggletoothed under the bottom of the warn bumper because the bumper has funny lines, I trimmed my fender and my custom bumper hugged the fender and made the finished look a lot better. My bumper also kept the winch tucked down a little lower out of the way of the radiator (XJs have cooling issues as it is)

Warn bumper

My bumper

If you do want to drop the cash on a mail order bumper, i think The Arb for the tundra looks a little better than the expedition one. IMO it matches the beef of the truck better.

Just food for thought, I always prefer to support my local 4x shops rather than the big guys, they do a great job and the custom fit always looks better, imo

-Tim
I bought the Expedition One bumpers and i love them. I got both front and rear, the superwinch and lights for both front and rear shipped to my door for $3959. As for the comment of spending less on the ARB than you would on the Exp-1, your dead wrong. The ARB is more than the Exp-1 and Road Armor and Fab Fours are more than Exp-1 as well.

·
Registered
753 Posts
As for the comment of spending less on the ARB than you would on the Exp-1, your dead wrong. The ARB is more than the Exp-1 and Road Armor and Fab Fours are more than Exp-1 as well.
I never said ARB cost less. I said i like it better.

ARB is the most overpriced stuff around but it's great quality. Never had and trouble with my ARB locker or safari snorkel.

-Tim

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm runnin the ARB Sahara bar and im lovin it

·
Registered
139 Posts
ARB looks good, but it doesn't follow the lines of the truck at all. If you look at it it cuts through the grille and doesn't follow the shape at all.

Its a big world and not everyone is going to agree on what looks the best, so I'd say just go with what you like and can afford.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts