Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all:

I have a 2007 Tundra 5.7 crew cab. I just purchased the truck and I am the second owner at 35,700 miles. I am hearing a bumping noise at the center to right side firewall area at speeds around 15 to 20 mph. I can also hear the same noise when I start and shut off the engine. It sounds like a muffled bumping noise but I can't figure out where it is coming from. The dealer looked at the truck one day, and could duplicate the noise, but they could not figure out where the noise was coming from either. They called Toyota and they are going to check a few things the next time I take it in. Does anyone have any ideas? Please help. CD

·
Registered
889 Posts
There is a TSB on the Tensioner. I brought my truck in for the ticking noise that I had no clue.... I mentioned the tensioner. They replaced it and it's gone. Worth a try.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds exactly like the noise I had. Dealership chased and could not duplicate it on several occassions. Finally kept the truck for a week and were able to find a loose wiring harness on the firewall. Noise stopped and several months later has not come back. Apparently when there was any flex in the vehicle the harness would bang against the firewall. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the responses. I don't think there is an illegal alien in there, but you made me laugh! Could it be a broken motor mount? How are these engines mounted? The reason I am wondering if it is a motor mount is because you can hear the bumping when you start and shut down the engine. The bumping noise is the same when you are driving about 15 to 20 mph. CD

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have this noise too. It's pretty faint but I can hear it on shutdown.

-Wes

·
Registered
28 Posts
This definitely sounds like the problem I had. Thought it was a bad motor mount, tranny mount, then went from that to loose strut. Then end links. Thought we had the problem solved when we found a loose bolt in the bumper. It turned out it was none of the above. Mine also made the noise when shifting the truck between reverse and drive, or going over a rough road at low speeds. So all I can tell you in the end is the dealership said it was a wiring harness banging against the firewall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did they secure the wiring harness? Did it solve your bumping noise? I am taking the truck in tomorrow. Hopefully they can find the loose harness. I have looked all over the front of the truck and I can't find anything loose. CD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Snkchrmr, Took the truck in today and they FIXED it! The master tech said it was a loose wiring harness going to the computer mounted on the firewall! Thanks Tundra Solutions! I showed the master tech your comment about the wiring harness. This was the third day they had my truck tracing the problem. You helped fix my truck. No bumping noise on the way home. Thanks. CD

·
Registered
28 Posts
Glad I could help. I know it drove me crazy for two years. And no it wasn't the dealerships fault as I just never had time to take the truck in. But when I did get there they definitely looked after me. Thanks Hallmark!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have this noise too, will check it out, thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts