Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is my first post here after being a long time reader and gathering alot of useful info..... this is my problem...i bought the strut/shock package from shockwarehouse.com...got the complete set for 304.00... I have no complaints about the product itself....but....after removing the front struts i took them to a shop and let them do the compressing of the springs and installing them on the new struts...here is where my prob starts...after going to pick them up i saw they used the original top bushings instead of the new ones the struts came with.....i got some song and dance about how the new bushings didnt fit and the directions said to use the old ones if that was the case...at that point i pointed out the directions said to use the original mounting hardware ( the nuts and washers that hold the strut to the truck)...anyway the guy said they didnt fit,,,i was pissed since they didnt even call to let me know so i could get the right ones if this really was the case...who wants new struts with bushings that have 120 K on them?? so my question is....has anyone else had this bushing problem or am i just dealing with a complete idiot??
thanks for any info!!

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
If they did not fit bilstein would not have included them. I have never had bushing that would not fit....maybe a tight fit but they fit.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,613 Posts
If they did not fit bilstein would not have included them. I have never had bushing that would not fit....maybe a tight fit but they fit.
:tu:

Yep, I wouldn't re-use the old bushings. In fact, I had the rubber component in the lower bushings on my stock Bilsteins wear out on both sides, so they can definitely go bad on you.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I had an issue with the bushings. The way it said to install them with the washers cupped toward the bushings, the nut would not thread onto the shock rod. I just flipped the cupped washers the other way....and no problem.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had an issue with the bushings. The way it said to install them with the washers cupped toward the bushings, the nut would not thread onto the shock rod. I just flipped the cupped washers the other way....and no problem.

That is what I did. Works fine.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Well this is my first post here after being a long time reader and gathering alot of useful info..... this is my problem...i bought the strut/shock package from shockwarehouse.com...got the complete set for 304.00... I have no complaints about the product itself....but....after removing the front struts i took them to a shop and let them do the compressing of the springs and installing them on the new struts...here is where my prob starts...after going to pick them up i saw they used the original top bushings instead of the new ones the struts came with.....i got some song and dance about how the new bushings didnt fit and the directions said to use the old ones if that was the case...at that point i pointed out the directions said to use the original mounting hardware ( the nuts and washers that hold the strut to the truck)...anyway the guy said they didnt fit,,,i was pissed since they didnt even call to let me know so i could get the right ones if this really was the case...who wants new struts with bushings that have 120 K on them?? so my question is....has anyone else had this bushing problem or am i just dealing with a complete idiot??
thanks for any info!!
When I installed my 5100s I reused one of the metal washers on the rears because it had a better lip to line up the shock in the mounting hole. Used all new rubber bushings. On the fronts it was as total PIA to get the new bushings to compress enough to start the nut on the shock stud, so yes, it was a challenge. I did make it happen though, and I don't own a mechanic's shop. Sounds like the guy was being lazy... probably not an idiot. And, he absolutely should have called but he didn't because he did not want you to tell him to use the new stuff. He should re-install with the new bushings at no extra charge or you may want to take everything somewhere else and have them do it right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts