Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my Bushwacker Pocket Style Fender Flares this weekend. Got them painted to match by Toyota Stealership for $50.00! Yes, not a typo, $50.00!! They made a mistake and forgot to paint the flares until I called three days later. For my inconvenience, they said they will paint and clear coat all four for $50.00. Who am I to say no? :D

Took about 45 minutes to install, including a wax job afterwards to make them all nice and shiny! :tu:

Everything fit perfectly. By the way, I had some minor issues with the flares and needed additional parts, called Bushwacker and Mike shipped me more than enough spare parts for free. Bushwacker Customer Service is outstanding!

Anyway, here are some pics.

If you want to see these in beautiful blue, check out firemanmike's install: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/187655-dick-cepek-wheels-bushwacker-fender-flares/

·
Registered
397 Posts
Very nice!! Time for some bigger tires and color match your door handles

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, I think those fenders kind of "force your hand" in that you need to do the a lift and get bigger wheels / tires with offset. As is, it kind of overpowers the stock wheels.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
Installed my Bushwacker Pocket Style Fender Flares this weekend. Got them painted to match by Toyota Stealership for $50.00! Yes, not a typo, $50.00!! They made a mistake and forgot to paint the flares until I called three days later. For my inconvenience, they said they will paint and clear coat all four for $50.00. Who am I to say no? :D

Took about 45 minutes to install, including a wax job afterwards to make them all nice and shiny! :tu:

The only minor issue was the bottom screw hole of the front flares for some reason didn't line up properly so I temporarily left it off and will deal with it at a later time. Everything else fit perfectly.

Anyway, here are some pics.

If you want to see these in beautiful blue, check out firemanmike's install: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/187655-dick-cepek-wheels-bushwacker-fender-flares/
I don't like fender flares and I HATE that style. I have to say though, it looks REALLY HOT on your truck !!!!! I like the other mods (grill, front bar etc) also. That is one sweet looking ride. You did a GREAT job modding it ....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice!! Time for some bigger tires and color match your door handles
Yeah, I think those fenders kind of "force your hand" in that you need to do the a lift and get bigger wheels / tires with offset. As is, it kind of overpowers the stock wheels.
To both, yes, yes, leveling/lift kit, new wheels, bigger tires, they're all coming. . . ..my paycheck can only stretch so far with this materialistic girl.

Next on the future-spending list is the Low Range Off-Road 3/1 Leveling Kit.

My plan is to do the big ticket items last. . .which would be the new wheels and bigger tires.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't like fender flares and I HATE that style. I have to say though, it looks REALLY HOT on your truck !!!!! I like the other mods (grill, front bar etc) also. That is one sweet looking ride. You did a GREAT job modding it ....
Thanks! The flares do make the stock wheels and tires look "puny". . . ..

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Arizona, great job. I just had my wheels installed and used stock rugged trail with the black all out. The 35 offset puts them just slightly outside the fender and when i get a few miles on them i am going to move up to maybe a 33" and wider. I was wondering how these would look. I think once you finish your project with the wheels and tires it is going to look awesome. Definitely like that style over the smooth style. I am thinking about selling my wheels like those. ?? Not sure.. That is my next step larger tires. Grill came out great also.. Keep it up and the updates coming

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nice. I want.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Looks great - thanks for the pics! However, now you're on the blame list cause I'm gonna need to buy these now! Good job with the pics & the clean/shiny truck... almost makes me regret getting the Pyrite instead of the Silver-Sky again.... almost :)

Sidenote... what did the stealership originally quote you for a price (paint)?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Arizona, great job. I just had my wheels installed and used stock rugged trail with the black all out. The 35 offset puts them just slightly outside the fender and when i get a few miles on them i am going to move up to maybe a 33" and wider. I was wondering how these would look. I think once you finish your project with the wheels and tires it is going to look awesome. Definitely like that style over the smooth style. I am thinking about selling my wheels like those. ?? Not sure.. That is my next step larger tires. Grill came out great also.. Keep it up and the updates coming
zeeya, thanks! Can't wait to get new wheels and tires. My plan is to get them done at the same time. I have narrowed down a few wheels (MOTO, Ballistic, Monster, FUEL) I like as well as the tires (BFG or Zeon not sure). Total estimated cost will be around $2000 ~ $2200!!

Yikes! That's why I'm doing them last.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks great - thanks for the pics! However, now you're on the blame list cause I'm gonna need to buy these now! Good job with the pics & the clean/shiny truck... almost makes me regret getting the Pyrite instead of the Silver-Sky again.... almost :)

Sidenote... what did the stealership originally quote you for a price (paint)?
popo, I was originally quoted $200 over the phone, but the guy I spoke to said bring them over and he can give me a better deal. You already know how I got them painted for $50.00 and I hope you can also be that lucky. But at least you know you can get them painted for under $200 directly from a Toyota dealer.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
popo, I was originally quoted $200 over the phone, but the guy I spoke to said bring them over and he can give me a better deal. You already know how I got them painted for $50.00 and I hope you can also be that lucky. But at least you know you can get them painted for under $200 directly from a Toyota dealer.
Okay, that's not too bad... was everything included in that $200 price (ie - sanding, prep, primer, paint, clear...etc).???

·
Registered
274 Posts
looks sweet. 45 min on the install? really? damn. i want to run these on our white cm but was thinking it would be a PITA. plus my wife thinks im nuts for drilling all those holes in a brand new truck. congrats.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I don't think you have to drill any holes. The "screws" are fake.

Speaking of which why in hell don't they make the same fender flare without the farkin' fake nuts!? I'd be all over it if they did.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Looks awesome.
Funny about the wife asking about drilling all the holes- mine did too....lol
then again, my brother asked the same thing.
Install was very simple and about 45 min to do. I highly recommend.
OP- points for you man.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, that's not too bad... was everything included in that $200 price (ie - sanding, prep, primer, paint, clear...etc).???
Yes, I specifically asked and requested the proper way to paint the flares since I didn't want them to cut any corners. The quoted $200 or under was for all that including four passes on the clear coat as a minimum. There really isn't a whole lot of surfaces to be painted so if you can get all that done for under $200, I think it's reasonable. If you distract them enough where they forget to paint the flares for three or four days, they might also compensate you for your inconvenience. ;) Also ask them to put some extra paint in a jar for future touch-ups.

You probably do want to pre-drill the holes yourself where the stainless steel screws (rivets) will be inserted later instead of relying on someone at the body shop to remember to do it, because my guess was high that they won't.

That's pretty much all I did before dropping them off. Took about 25 minutes including a coffee break to drill all four flares.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
looks sweet. 45 min on the install? really? damn. i want to run these on our white cm but was thinking it would be a PITA. plus my wife thinks im nuts for drilling all those holes in a brand new truck. congrats.
I don't think you have to drill any holes. The "screws" are fake.

Speaking of which why in hell don't they make the same fender flare without the farkin' fake nuts!? I'd be all over it if they did.
Just so I don't mislead, I spent about 25 minutes drilling all the holes in the flares (where the stainless steel rivets will be inserted later) before dropping them off to be painted. There is no drilling at all on your truck.

The screws (rivets) aren't fake per say. They're nice, solid, stainless steel screws with ss washers and lock nuts. . .which give the flares that rugged look. Bushwacker does have a style without the rivets. It's called the OE style, but if that's the look you're after, get the Toyota Flares from Sparks -- they're cheaper, I think. . .and with either the Bushwacker OE Style Flares or Toyota Flares, you get to keep your mud flaps (if you have them). With the Bushwacker Pocket Style Flares, you will lose your mud flaps.

After the flares are painted, I picked them up and spent another 30 - 45 minutes the night before, installing all the rivets and putting on the rubber edge trims which will protect the paint where the body and flares meet.

Once all that prep work is done, the next morning, it took me about 45 minutes straight installation time to install. You can probably do it faster, but what's the hurry?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts