Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my bladder woke me up at 5 am this morning, and my brain wouldn't let me go back to sleep after, so I made coffee. Caught up on about a month of billing (never get that far behind!), dug up some ugly foliage in the yard for the little Mrs., and was done by 11 am.

Now the Tundra stuff.

Installed the Hypertech speedo calibrator (running 295/60/20's now, almost 35"). I started by checking my speedo against my GPS. 4 miles over, on the dot. Then I calculated how many revs my tires needed to go a mile, and for the sake of being thorough, also calculated the number of revs/size of the "stock" tires. My tires have a real world (loaded) diameter of 33.5". The speedo was calibrated at 32.58" (the 275/60/20's that are stock are 32" before load and closer to 31.5" on the truck, so the speedo actually read a bit faster than the stock tires were traveling. I measured and calculated instead of just using tire sizes for adjustment.

The install was pretty straight forward except for getting the steering column skirt reattached to the guage cover panel. I suggest pulling it from the steering column instead of following the directions in the box.

Went out and checked it at a few different speeds against my GPS (and found a speed trap) and I was on the money. Cool.

Relocated the tow/haul switch while I had the dash apart. I'll use that space for something, I'm sure.

Did the Platinum insert/black sport grill mod. The insert comes out of the sport grill really easily. The platinum insert is a PAIN to get out of the chrome surround. Same process, but the plastic seemed much less compliant on the chrome surround. Looks great, but raining here today, and the truck needs a bath, so no pics yet.

Put the Yakima racks back on (new topper). Uneventful.

Now I just have to get the yellow road stripe paint overspray off the entire driver side of my 3 week old truck. I was on a narrow bridge Wednesday and they were coming the other way. I couldn't scoot over any farther, or back up.:mad: It's not terrible, but it's not good, either. I called the customer relations dept of CDOT and started the claim process. If that doesn't work, I guess that's what insurance is for. I have the worst luck!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
have you tried to claybar the yellow paint stuff? we had it get on the front of a chrysler several years ago and some time with a clay bar made it come off....

oh and congrats on all the mods. :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i haven't done anything till the state's adjuster takes a look. I'd rather have it professionally handles. That paint sticks to dirty asphault, it surely sticks to paint

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on the road stripe overspray.

State guy called back with the contact info for the contractor, called the contractor & expained what happened, was transferred to a VERY helpful young (I'm assuming) woman who said that had a few problems in my area that day due to the wind.

She said a couple of others had gotten good results from a local detailer and provided their number. She requested I get an estimate, which she said she would pay over the phone with a credit card when the work was completed to my satisfacton.

Scheduled for Saturday.

A+ "customer" support, and if the crap comes off, I'll be a happy camper who didn't have to jump through too many hoops to get taken care of.

The upshot is I'll have a professionally clayed, washed & waxed truck, just in time for a fresh round of thunder storms!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts