Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to by a 2003 tundra access cab 4x4 V8 auto, trd package, this trucks has 200 000 miles and price is around 9K $ US this truck would be used for a max of 4000 miles per year.

what should I check before buying and what typically fails on this year trucks (did they improved the trans for this year?)

overall comments welcome

thanks
michel

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yeah, the tranny was supposed to have been improved on the 2003 models.

$10K seems steep for 200K miles. I paid $9500 for mine with 100K, but its an 00'. Before that, I could have bought a 03' SR5 AC 4wd V8 for $13,000 w/60K, but it had been wrecked before, but was repaired... I was scared of it, but I love the way it drove.... seemed to be much more powerful than my 00', but the interior was not in as nice of shape as mine, despite being newer and less mileage.

I would offer $8500 and make sure the timing belt has been recently changed. @ 200K, its a possibility that it may be due for the second change.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow! 200K is a lot of miles. Just bought my first Tundra. The prices up here (PNW) are outrageous! Looked and looked, very few on the market, only found one private owner (2003), really used thoroughly, but not too hard. Wife didn't like the wear on it. Finally settled on one from a F**d dealer. '03, 35,000 miles, TRD 4X4 with Bridgestone A/Ts. $22,000. Lots of money, but it drives flawlessly. I'm satisfied. A new Tundra owner.

:)

·
Registered
910 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow, that's a lot of coin for an '03. I paid slightly more for my '03 AC 2wd NEW.

Seems that folks are starting to ask about high-mileage Tundras. There have a been a few posts on this lately. The '03 up models have some key upgrades (brakes and trans) that will probably make them more durable, but the bottom line is that just about all systems are going to "wear" over time and miles. The alternator, PS pump, rack/pinion, and A/C compressor are only good for so many miles. Suspension (bushings, tie rod ends, shocks, springs, and ball joints) also have limited lifespans. For most of these items, it doesn't matter how well maintained the truck is, they are going to wear. Of course, some owners are easier on their trucks than others, but still....

I'm really interested in finding out the average lifespan of the '03 up trans, rear-end, and engine. Of those three, I would think the trans will fail first, the rear will start to leak at the axle seals, then engine problems will crop up. How many miles to get all this? I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I wouldn't pay that much no matter what brand it is.
Theres going to be lots of low mileage Tundras keep shopping
For something with 40 to 60k miles they're out there for $10k to $15k.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Best deal I could find for low miles. New 06's are only available in double cab. About $32,000 plus taxes, etc for an 07 DC, which puts it close to $35,000 out the door.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
up there same year truck with low mileage is twice the price around 20K$ , I have done a quick resserach and trannys could be found for 800$ engines 1200$ even if I need to replace ons of theses parts it's still cheaper.

thanks for all you info, I will think about it

·
1,770 Posts
up there same year truck with low mileage is twice the price around 20K$ , I have done a quick resserach and trannys could be found for 800$ engines 1200$ even if I need to replace ons of theses parts it's still cheaper.

thanks for all you info, I will think about it
Yeah you'll trade out for used/broken equipment for somethin else that is used and prone for more breakage. If it ever fails, get a rebuild, it will be like new.

I'd still look for one with less miles.
200K makes any vehicle A HEAP of junk. Consider these things first:
Do you know how he drove it? If he even has service records? That he took it in for servicing requirements? Coolant Flushes ,Transmission flushes, His MANY oil changes, Timing Belt Changes (every 90K), Water Pump (Same) , etc.
before spending 9K and then another 2-4K for other critical parts when they go/Blow/explode

Keep lookin'

My 03' AC SR5 4x4 has 57K miles, many upgrades like 3 sets of Tires (Summer AT tires ,Winter, Offroad Mudders), Intake, Sound System, New Rims, New Coilover Shocks and TC Upper Arms, Rear suspension mods(Deaver Springs, bilsteins) A HUGE Tough Country Bumper, etc, and I would sell for 15K max. and I have proof of my service records at Toyota (the mileage done at;Coolant Flushes, Diffs , Transfer oil changes, Air Filters, etc.), ALL my oil changes (synthetics), and every receipt to show for the mods.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Bull----!

200K doesn't make ALL vehicles a heap of junk..........some, yes, but not all.

My kid brother is driving my old 96 Jetta 2.0 Liter. The car has at LEAST 175,000 miles on it (the instrument cluster has been swapped at least twice, so I'm not positive) and the original motor still pulls very, very hard......doesn't use any oil........ It's still a very solid car, definitely not a piece of junk, and it was marketed as an ECONOMY car....

I've driven an '88 BMW 325iX with 200k on it that was nice and solid, as well as an early 90's E-class Mercedes that had 175k + on it that was very tight.

On the other hand, my sister-in-law has a 98/99 Dodge Stratus that leaks transmission fluid and oil all over my driveway, and it just barely has 100k on it.

Sure, miles wear things out on a vehicle.........but so does age (seals dry up, dry rot occurs, etc), and so does exposure to the elements. Some vehicles are built better than others, and if neglected, ANY vehicle will fall apart.

I wouldn't stray away from a higher mileage vehicle JUST because it has high miles. If it's been well maintained, checks out OK with your mechanic, and is the right PRICE, it might be a good deal.

That said, I think $9,000 for a Tundra with 200k on it is very steep, even if it is an 03. I think it would be a much better deal around $6,000 or so.........

Ben

Yeah you'll trade out for used/broken equipment for somethin else that is used and prone for more breakage. If it ever fails, get a rebuild, it will be like new.

I'd still look for one with less miles.
200K makes any vehicle A HEAP of junk. Consider these things first:
Do you know how he drove it? If he even has service records? That he took it in for servicing requirements? Coolant Flushes ,Transmission flushes, His MANY oil changes, Timing Belt Changes (every 90K), Water Pump (Same) , etc.
before spending 9K and then another 2-4K for other critical parts when they go/Blow/explode

Keep lookin'

My 03' AC SR5 4x4 has 57K miles, many upgrades like 3 sets of Tires (Summer AT tires ,Winter, Offroad Mudders), Intake, Sound System, New Rims, New Coilover Shocks and TC Upper Arms, Rear suspension mods(Deaver Springs, bilsteins) A HUGE Tough Country Bumper, etc, and I would sell for 15K max. and I have proof of my service records at Toyota (the mileage done at;Coolant Flushes, Diffs , Transfer oil changes, Air Filters, etc.), ALL my oil changes (synthetics), and every receipt to show for the mods.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
unless i could see the maintenance records from someone who ever did the dealer suggested maintenance and could prove with documents that timing belts, water pumps and other critical components were serviced i would PASS BIG TIME! If truck was taken care of that price seems high still but depends what YOU feel it is worth . I have a 93 4x4 PU with Snug-top camper 3.0 V6 and i would not let it go for NOTHING!! i have done most of the maintenance on it since i got it at 140K and fixing to do water pump,Timing Belt, Power sterring pump and all associated seals idlers and will run me aroun 1200.00 bucks for Toyota to replace all this cause i am not able to due to disabilties. But after the repairs i would not let it go for less tha 6K probably maybe 7K. It only has 234K on it know and i check Toyota's local data base before i bought it to see what kinda maintenance had been done on it and they had been getting routine dealer maintenance and motor still strong only issue is the Altitude here, EFI is a dog at altitude! above 6500 feet it is really bad!

·
Registered
739 Posts
200k miles is not bad, and definatley does not make a vehicle a "heap of junk". Is'nt this the main reason people buy Toyota's? LONGEVITY.

Oh and i sold a toyota that was 10 years older than your 03 and had 267K miles on the STOCK motor for 5,000 dollars, so the Tundra sounds like a good deal to me!

·
Registered
933 Posts
I agree and can relate. I have a 1985 Mercedes 380SE with 270K and while the engine is getting tired (needs timing chain and cams replaced), it still does not use or burn not one drop of oil! Amazing. Engine is getting tired as mentioned and I have some engine chatter/knocking at certain RPMs. I had a 91' Honda Accord and a 93' Camry, both over 215K running fine, as was my 90' Lexus LS400 with 251K and dad has a 88' Nissan truck 4wd with 253K - fine running order.

I even had a 98' Ford Taurus, with 258K - ran fine, but the tranny was getting quirky.

Ditto on the Dodge. I had a 95' Chrysler Concorde with 88K with tranny failure and an engine knock (one owner, well cared for). My aunt has a 99' Dodge Grand Caravan with 76K and it will not stay running. NO one can figure it out. Everything has been replaced. :rolleyes: Back to driving her 02' Altima.

Bull----!

I've driven an '88 BMW 325iX with 200k on it that was nice and solid, as well as an early 90's E-class Mercedes that had 175k + on it that was very tight.

On the other hand, my sister-in-law has a 98/99 Dodge Stratus that leaks transmission fluid and oil all over my driveway, and it just barely has 100k on it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a a 4.7L with that many miles. I would try to get it for a bit cheaper, but getting it for 6K is a joke. I just bought a '99 LC with 192K (which I immediately converted to synthetic with no problems), and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. As long as it has been maintained and you plan on keeping it that way, it has until well over 300K. I honestly believe (and I'm not the only one) that the 4.7 will be able to do 500K miles with proper maintenance and upkeep.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
In 12/06 I bought my 2001 TRD 2wd Limited for $10,500. It had 48,434 miles on her. I now have 52,297 miles on her. I love my truck! I have to agree with everyone though, $9000 is way too much for a truck with 200,000 miles on her even with it being a 2003 model! No matter how well you take care of it things are gonna wear out and lets face it, parts for a Tundra ain't cheap! Shop around and if you have to, do a road trip. I'd check out carmax.com. A buddy of mine just bought a 2004 SR5 4x4 sportside with 16,746 miles for a little over $15,000. Since the 2007's are out a lot of people are trading in their 1st gen. Tundies. Check around and like I said, road trip it if you have to. Just my opinion....

Good Luck to ya!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts