Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could probably set this up as a poll question, but am more interested in people's reasons for/against. I'm wondering if people buy the spare (new wheel and tire) when they upgrade from their stock wheels and tires ONLY when they change the size (i.e. going from a 32" to a 33" wheel).
I want to see what people feel are the advantages/disadvantages of doing so. My main concern against doing so is seeing if there is space to fit where the current spare is (there probably is, though those with 35"+ tires may not be able to do so... I honestly don't know, I'll have to take a good look under the truck to find out). Otherwise, if it doesn't fit, an in-bed or off-the-tailgate type mount may do. Thoughts? Benefits? Costs?

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Unless you are traveling way off the beaten path, the stock spare should be fine for most of us. It is a spare so may never be used. and the size difference for most would be small

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Unless you are traveling way off the beaten path, the stock spare should be fine for most of us. It is a spare so may never be used. and the size difference for most would be small
So long as you drive directly to a tire store.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
The spare is a regular tire and since we don't have true limited slip, the differential will take care of the difference. I would not do 4wd unless you were on loose ground. I know tundras that have run the spare for many weeks. True they weren't running 37's.
Tis best to get it resolved asap

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
On smaller cars I have owned, I have purchased a drag style aluminum front rim and tire for some significant weight savings. I doubt I would bother on the truck.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I will just keep the one that came with the truck for serious emergencies like if I was in the middle of nowhere. The only time I got a flat I called roadside assistance and they came and plugged the leak and aired up the tire and I was on my way. Roadside assistance = Awesome!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I wouldn't buy a spare. Waste of money.
If you take a look at the latest trend some of new cars do not even come with a spare tire, but some kind a bottle with green stuff to keep you going.
You'll be fine with stock spare to get to the tire shop.;)

·
Registered
860 Posts
I don't upgrade the spare until I go onto the third set of tires, then I take best of the second set and swap it out. Free bigger spare!

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very cool posts... I'm still going to mull this over a bit. I'm leaning more to not bothering with it since its ROI is pretty low and I'm not driving in areas that are in the middle of nowhere. My biggest concern is whether I would potentially have any kind of alignment damage or problems from having different size tires/rims, but I think that is only a real concern if I have the spare on for a considerable amount of time...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts