Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So all signs point to little to no availability in my region (Gulf States) for a 2010 SR5 with the JBL package. The salesman claimed that they can simply send it across the street to Car Toys (chain audio installer) and have it installed for me.

Called Car Toys and as expected they simply install an aftermarket system in place. Simply replacing/adding speakers, keeping the Tech Audio HU and associated stuff. I am picky about avoiding aftermarket, but with as much as I've torn apart cars in my past it's not such a big deal. From the sounds of it it seems like the aftermarket seems to offer better choice in regards to quality/price over the JBL setup, and getting them to replace door panels to stick with an OEM JBL system is going to be a nightmare.

Off the top of my head I may be interested in adding XM radio if the Tech Audio package doesn't include it but the JBL does not. I suppose while I'm at it, is there an HD radio add on out there?

So, educate me on:

1. Differences between speaker locations on a JBL vs non JBL 2010 Tundra. Where are the extra 6 speakers going from non JBL to JBL on the crewmax, and how many of them can I get added in an as-OEM-location-possible method. I.E I don't want a sub box limiting rear seat travel, etc.

2. Component selection; Simply want to replace the existing ones with higher quality components, and add the missing ones, preferably all 6 if possible. What sizes go in all of the existing OE locations and what can be added? Please do chime in with brands/types.

3. Sound preference. I'm not a boom guy, I simply want MORE CLARITY. I've thouroughly enjoyed the OE JBL Synthesis setup on my dad's 03 4runner and would like to mimic it as much as possible. Used to play trumpet in middle/high school and after many years still have an ear for clarity and tuning. Not at all interested in boom.

I'll add more as I think of it. I'm usually a big search before asking guy, but time is real short and as I search, I'll just ask more detailed questions.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Just because many factory systems have a ton of speakers doesn't mean you don't get quality sound if you don't put a zillion speakers in. It means most people who don't really know how simple sound quality can be think more speakers is always better. So when a manufacturer advertises 6 speaker this, 12-18 speaker that, people will pay for the option because 6 is more than 4 and 12 is more than 6. There are properly equipped and tuned aftermarket systems with 3-5 speakers including subs that will beat most factory systems every time, and they don't have to be prohibitively expensive.

A good start would be spending way more than you ever thought you'd spend on one set of exceptional front components. Like I'm talking 300 bucks or more. That's OK though because you'll make it up by leaving the other drivers stock. Speakers I've had experience with that you might want to look into: Hertz HSK 165 and Eclipse 2 or 3 way components if you can still find them now that the Eclipse brand no longer exists. I found both to be exceptional speaker systems. Dynaudio would also be worth a look. Toss in 2 channel amp for them. Run whatever else is there off the head unit. Go from there and look at your multi-media options for HD radio. Decide if you want a sub later.

But my main advice is don't try to get the desired effect with a bunch of speakers just because that's how the factory's high end system is set up. Go for exceptional fronts run off a decent amp.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I decided to wait and see how I like the factoy setup for a whle; for all I know I may be just fine with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RealRacer,
I am in the same boat (was trying to find a '10 CrewMax SR5 w/JBL system.. out of convenience to avoid risk of aftermarket headaches) and had no luck. I bought a truck and have been really patient in my quest for smooth full spectrum clarity for a wide variety of music genre (don't want big boom or harsh highs that I hear coming from kids' cars). My other objective is to retain the use of the factory HU and the accompanying blue tooth, steering wheel controls, XM, USB, & aux interfaces. Here is what I have learned so-far...

I know some of the additional speakers would include a center channel (grill already in-place on the dash), a sub (uses a different panel behind the drivers-side rear seat passenger), and some tweets for back seat passengers. I'm not sure about the remaining 2 (sorry).

Although I have no experience with this yet, I'll throw the following option out for your consideration (and feedback from the gallery)... I had somebody recommend to first add a 5 channel amp to bring signal clarity to the stock speakers, and add a 10" sub behind the seats (w/the 5th channel). Since the stock speakers won't be able to handle all the amp can offer, you'd need to back-off the amp gain, but I've been told that this set-up provides a significant improvement over the sound quality provided by the stock head unit. Then, if that doesn't make enough of a difference, you already have the infrastructure in-place to upgrade the stock speakers (I'm not sure yet what I'd put in to achieve the soft flat response I'd like to achieve).

How does this match up with your research to-date?

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
You could always try to negotiate a deal on an entry level limited Crewmax...you can easily get one for ~$39,000 with the rebate. that's with 4x4, so if you're looking for 4x2, would be more like $35,000.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ended up getting the double cab with the Tech Audio package. Decided for now it sounds good enough for me to not bother with an aftermarket upgrade for now, but that could change in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts