Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TRD?
I'm not into offroading particularly. What does the TRD package do to the ride? Get too firm or real jiggly?

Supercharger?
I'm buying a new 04 double cab taco.

I live at 7,800 feet and drive in the mountain up to 11,000 or so fairly regularly.

90% of the the it'll be just me, but occassionally I'll have 500 lbs of dirt bikes in the bed, and sometimes I'll be pulling a 2,500 lb. popup trailer.

So, do I need the SC or can I make 40+ up the mountains passes when loaded without it?

·
Registered
108 Posts
- First off - are you getting a Prerunner or a 4wd?

Depends how much the difference between the TRD & non - TRD are
-the full TRD pkg usually include- upgraded alloys/tires, progressive rate coils w Tokikos, E- locker.

The E-locker is definately justifiable for those that offroad.
So - If you want the wheels pkg & locker- its not that bad-
Most Guys I know end up replacing their TRD suspension parts (Springs, shocks etc...) pretty quick.

Advantage to buying your truck - S/C's is that the S/C is covered under the factory warranty if its dealer installed - not to mention you can get it financed w/ the purchase.

S/C will not significantly improve towing capabilities- also you may also have to factor in costs for fuel modifications -

So basically- if you don't offroad- you probably will not benefit from the locker
Also - you don't need an S/C to haul light loads- I have no problems towing around a 19 ft Mastercraft- (although its pretty flat here in Houston)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4WD - which I will use very little except offroad (very casual) or in the snow - lots of that here.

I realize it doesn't up the towing capacity, but I assume it'll make the passes easier to pull at a decent speed. Or am I wrong?

thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah- you won't be locking the rear when driving in the snow-

If I were to buy another 4wd Tacoma- I'd try very hard to get the E- Locker (I've been bitten by the offroading bug :) )
- You can get better suspension components out there than what comes with the TRD pkg. - Main thing is the Locker and maybe the wheel upgrade.

- You might be spending alot more money on fuel mods if you S/C so watch out- search URD kit, 7th injector etc.....
I would not spend extra money on the S/C for any additional ooomph while towing or passing while trailering- That's not the reason to S/C.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I believe that the SC will add extra oomph while towing a load to pass. Logically more power = more oomph so I see no reason why it would not give you more power in passing while towing a load. The V6 supercharger is designed much better than the V8 and doesnt require any fuel modifications. There has been some complaints of pinging but they are very rare. You can get URD's kit for 899 at www.urdusa.com which is not a great deal to spend as it also gives you around 30 more ponies at your wheels. Plus when you are not towing the SC will give you a thrill ride! :D

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Highly recommend getting the 4wd (if nothing else to hold up the resale value in CO)... although you will only tow in 2wd unless you end up on some back mountain trails.

I pulled my 2,200Lb pop-up (+ camping stuff) from the Springs to the back side of Pikes Peak a couple of summers back w/ my T-100 (stock 3.4L w/ 5spd man tranny) and while I made it, it was all it could handle at times in 4th gear. Based on that, I would recommend either getting the S/C or getting a Tundra if you really plan on towing routinely. The Taco shouldn't have any problem towing your bikes (I don't even notice my 800Lb jetski behind when I tow it to the lake.. but a big difference between 800Lbs. and 2200 Lbs.).

Just my 2¢'s worth....

·
Registered
438 Posts
well...i dont have the TRD package...but the upgraded suspension may help when towing...the Elocker is real nice, but seeing as you do not off road i see no use for it. SC is a different story..its great for bragging rights...but with the way gas prices are right now..id stay away from that

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.

I think I'm gonna get no TRD and no SC. I just can't see the need for either one in my case. The SC is tempting but not tempting enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts