Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying an 01 4x4 with 258,000 miles. Drives fine and everything seems to work, but is there anything specific I should look at?

Zero leaks from any where. I plan on replacing the rear axle bearings, seals, and T-Belt, water pump, nad flush the fluids.

Any tips/advice are welcome. Gonna hate to give up my 89 toy truck that I have built over the last couple of years, but I need more pulling power.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Man I thought 169k was a lot of miles on the 2000 i bought. Just look for any rust at all.

·
Registered
214 Posts
No need to replace the bearings and seals. If they're not leaking, and they're not making any funny noises, then why go through the hassle?

As far as the timing belt, yes replace it unless you have proof that it was replaced recently. Water pump is good while you're there, but again, if it's not leaking, then I wouldn't touch it.

And it doesn't hurt to lube everything and replace all the fluids.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, good luck.
like some said:
if it isn't broke, why fix it.
you could be opening a can of worms.
save the money for things down the road.
check eveything.
gorilla

·
Registered
105 Posts
I sold my '01 with 230K miles a couple months ago for $6K. It was a great truck from day one and the new owner was very happy. Check the frame, front sway bar links(cheap if needed). Check the steering rack for corrosion where the boots are crimped on (expensive). Run a scan and look for any indication that codes may have been cleared. Timing belt if near 90K on current one. O2 sensors are good for the same on average so budget for that. Other than that just normal stuff, do a complete service and enjoy a very bulletproof truck. I like my '10 a lot but to be honest I doubt it will last as long and cost as little to keep going as the '01 did. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have them down to $3700.00, so by tomorrow, that puppy will be sitting in my driveway.

I think I will try the timing belt myself. I have done 4 22re timing chains, and 5 honda timing belts.

I just need to order the service manual for it, and life will be grand.

Thanks for the input.

Will post pics of this beat up from the street up pick up.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Carfax might be a good idea. If it's a dealer you're haggling with be sure to get it in writing that the truck has not been wrecked or had water damage.

I hope the deal works out to your satisfaction and welcome to the forum. A lot of good information here on just about any subject plus some very knowledgeable guys to hang out with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
frame rust/perforation is a big problem. other than that, if it aint broken dont fix it

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I picked up my truck today, got it for $3650. I drove 1 mile and the A/C quit working. I figured/hoped it was just low on freon. I took it to a shop and they said the compressor was locking up. I called the seller and he said he would sell me a used compressor for 50 bucks.

I picked up the compressor took it to the mech., and it should be ready Tue.

I also found out by calling the two dealerships in town, and giving the vin#, that the timing belt was replaced at 133,000, so it is way iver due.

I checked ebay and there is a seller on there sell Asian timing belt kits for I think $179. I may go that route.

I really love the power this truck has, coming from a 22re, it like driving a dragster.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Bummer on the A/C. The timing belt kit on ebay by seller "volkstoy" is a quality kit. I, as well as many others, have had good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I would probably replace the spark plugs too. Clean the throttle body and mass air flow sensor too.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This baby will be brand new by the time I am done with her.

Front and rear bearing, and seal replacement can't be any worse than on the 89 truck. I hope.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have fun!! I always do the tune crap to a truck when i buy them. you ever get a carfax on it and see if it had been wrecked? Sounds like a good price to me though. I paid 8000 for a SR5 4x4 with 168k. one owner pretty clean.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I talked to the PO, and He said it has never been wrecked just beat on out in the woods. I guessing after about $1000 of body work she should look pretty good. I can't wait to do the timing belt.. I feel like a kid that knows what is under the Christmas tree, and I can't play with it till Christmas.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Great find and best of luck, i would also do both the idler bearings while you had it apart, they like to make loud noises when the dry up and with that many miles i am sure they are dried up! Would also do water pump as they are not designed to last much longer than 90K to start with. 2000-2003 Tundras had lots of issues with oxygen sensors and cracking exhaust manifolds. you can check you own VIN# here Toyota Owners Online | Official Toyota Owners Website
Gotta register but no big deal!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love my 2001 Limited Access Cab.
Mine's a 2WD, so not sure about any 4WD components to look at. Definitely look at the plugs and throttle body. frame rust if you live in a humid area (I'm in southern California, not a problem). One thing - if you change the timing belt, definitely change the water pump...you don't want to go in there twice if you don't have to.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Check to see if the knock sensor has been replaced recently. Make sure the starter sounds good. I had a 2002 Sequoia, at 100k I replaced the timing belt, and the starter,if the tundra was anything like the sequoia the starter is in the v block, after i put it all back together the knock went and had to take it all apart again.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Check to see if the knock sensor has been replaced recently. Make sure the starter sounds good. I had a 2002 Sequoia, at 100k I replaced the timing belt, and the starter,if the tundra was anything like the sequoia the starter is in the v block, after i put it all back together the knock went and had to take it all apart again.

That is a $180 gamble. Gonna have to look into it. Is that a common part that goes out?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts