Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are about to become owners of a 2005 Outfitter Caribou 6.5. We will also need to trade our 1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 extra cab in on a Tundra. Will a 2001 or 2002 Tundra 4x4 access cab with 4.7 liter V8 be adequate for weight and hauling ability? Would the TRD package be worth seeking? Looking at prices, we can afford those years of Tundra.

This one has some real niceties: one piece membrane maintenance free rubber roof, fully welded aluminum frame, torsion assisted lift system, vacuum bonded composite walls, filon, high gloss, UV protected, white FRP exterior, Owens Corning block foam insulation, solar reflective windows, 3'3 way fully insulated, properly vented refrigerator, electronic ignition 16K BTU furnace, microwave oven with inverter, awning 6' rear - fiamma, solar system - 80 watt, basket, rack and ladder, 24" wide scissor step, outside shower with 3 gallon water heater, 4 corner electric jacks, 201b LPG bottle with gauge, power vent system, 21 gallon fresh water supply, shurflo electric water pump, 3 burner high-output stove with Piezo ignition, 30AMP power converter with trickle charge, queen size cab over bed, under-bed storage, LPG and carbon monoxide detectors, locking fresh water fill , 100 and 12 volt outlets, oak interior doors, washable curtains, CD player with AM/FM radio , sliding cab through window, screen door and keyed locking deadbolt, 1 overhead storage cabinet, series 27 battery. We found it almost impossible to locate a used pop up slide in light weight camper locally. This one was 45 minutes away. We were looking for ATC Bobcat, FWC Eagle, Hallmark LaVeta or the Caribou 6.5. After months of research and looking we found this one posted late at night and after we emailed, the owner had many more requests. He is even willing to deliver. Is $12,900 too much? not much out there to compare to.

Probably are putting cart before the horse, but thses campers are really hard to find.

Thanks for any help. We have to let them know tomorrow afternoon. We are really looking forward to doing some traveling as we are both avid photographers

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
What is the total wet weight? I have had a 4WheelCamper Hawk on the back for over 7 years and have driven it everywhere and wouldn't change a thing but remember to be really careful with the total GVW and each axil weight. I wouldn't ever recommend going past the vehicle max GVW. I would recommend Firestone airbags to keep it level and retain the ride empty or full. I had the original TRD shocks on all four but changed out the rear for the HD Bilstein shocks to keep the freeway whoops smoothed out, they are just slightly more dampening than the stock TRD Bilsteins. I think finding one of these used is sometimes as tough as finding gold nuggets. I purchased the shell and built our interior exactly like we wanted it, with the extended overcab bed our bed when fully extended is queen size by queen size so we can sleep either axis or when camping with our daughter she sleeps in between with plenty of extra room.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I just looked at your proposed camper and I bet the wet weight will be around 1000 lbs and depending upon the weight of the options probably more than that. You need to know the 2002 SR5 Access Cab 4-speed automatic has a curb weight of 4518 lbs and a GVW of 6030 lbs which a total of 1512 lbs is for total cargo including your and your shoes plus all camping material. I drove my Tundra to Deadhorse Alaska over 20K miles at the vehicle GVW and you will really need to remember the vehicle is loaded to the max. It leveled out no problem but slowing down was something to not forget the weight. There was a post somewhere where someone overloaded a Tundra and cracked the frame. It was the only one I have ever read about but it did get me to put my axils on the scales to really see what the weight was. Power will not be a problem, I have my camper on the back of a 4x4 5 Speed Access Cab V-6.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,
Thanks for responding. Knowing that there are helpful folks out there is reassuring. My husband knows more about this sort of thing but is computer illiterate (retired refinery worker). The owner says the Caribou 6.5 with all the addons is about 1000#. He hauled it with a massive 2007 super something, 4 door crew cab Tundra with no problems. He is even throwing in the Tork Lift tie downs that may or may not fit the Tundra we may buy. Our finances will be stretched thin so that is why we are looking at the first generation Tundras. Those that are available in the Seattle area that are access cab 4x4 seem to have the 4.7 V8 engine. Husband does the driving so prefers automatic shift.

So, if we get a 4x4 access cab 4.7 liter V8 with automatic years 2001 or 2002, we will then need to get the airbags and Bilstein shocks. We just bought new tires for the Tacoma with E rating (3040 # @ 44# of pressure) so am hoping we can swap tires out with Tundra. Ha, probably not but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I am not a typical female as it seems most want to bring more than we do. Camera equipment weighs more than clothes and gear I would bet, probably over 100# for both of us. There is not a lot of storage so we would pack light.

I am sure we will learn much on this site so thank-you again for your help. Btw, we will stay with Toyota. My cousin loves her Tundra access cab and we have been Toyota owners since 1995.

We rarely travel freeways unless there is no alternative as in getting from Green River, Utah to Ferron, Utah no choice but to travel I70.

Our photo website: clikrf8 images photography by judy tilley

Judy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, more research and you know, we would be in the poorhouse buying a newer Tundra like the owner of the Caribou has. So, we are opting to go with our current tacoma and buy a new All Terrain Camper Bobcat. Thanks for all your help. Have many safe and happy adventures.
Judy

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
A 2010 4x4 tundra double cab is a big truck in size but it still only has a 1500-1600 total capacity payload, go to the Toyota specs sheets and it would be pushing it with a 1000lb camper. You would be suprised how fast a few people, dogs, firewood, some food adds up. All the tundras are still 1/2 ton trucks. You will love your 4wheelcamper!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
If I were buying a pickup with the express intent of placing a camper in the bed a half ton wouldn't even be a consideration.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The one in question

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Hello,

I am not a typical female as it seems most want to bring more than we do. Camera equipment weighs more than clothes and gear I would bet, probably over 100# for both of us. There is not a lot of storage so we would pack light.

We rarely travel freeways unless there is no alternative.....

Judy
is it wrong of me to say i might be in love? you 2 better just get the biggest truck you can afford, or the lightest camper.

AND THEN GET ON DOWN THE ROAD!!! mucha suerte!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Tundra Slide in Camper

If you go where they custom make the camper to fit the truck www.phoenixcampers.com then you can start out with ANY Tundra, and end up with the camper that works well with it.

Tundra Pop up, by Phoenix Pop up.

How close is the top of your roof to the base of the front of the camper, now I know my tundra is a first generation but with some frame flex does it hit your roof?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts