Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, thought I'd post this so you can all give input...or take it for what it's worth.

I have Bushwacker Pocket style fender flares on my 08 DC Tundra...they look pretty good. I had them sprayed with Line-X extra when I had some aftermarket bumpers sprayed and put on. You can see my album for the pics. Anyway, They've been on the truck for some months now...but last month I noticed that both rear fender flares appear to be warping away from the truck body at the top edge. Right now, I guess the worst of it is maybe just over 1/8th...maybe a bit more than that. It's very noticible... I notice it's worse when it's warm out. I emailed Bushwacker about it...sent them pictures and a copy of my receipt. They responded by saying they wouldn't warrant the fender flares because my coating (Line-X) is probably causing the warping.

...wow...

I responded by thanking them for responding to my warranty claim...and let them know I didn't agree with their findings. They did also say they were sending me some sort of retrofit kit...that might help. I have no idea what this kit entails...guess we'll see.

So, what do you all think? Would Line-X contribute to the warping of the bushwacker fender flares? and if so...why didn't it show up for months? Any comments welcome.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Well, if they are plastic they might expand and contract in heat and cold. The Line-X would make it more difficult to evenly expand and contract. Did the instructions specifically tell you to allow for expansion and contraction? If not, how are you supposed to know what you can and cannot do to them?

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
most likely issues with the harder Line-X not allowing the softer plastice to expand and contract over the full piece. There could also have been some chemical breakdown of the fender flare's plastic from the Line-X application and/or the chemical composition of the product. Line-X hardens as it cure and could be pulling the flares in.
Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The only argument I could see is if the flares are specified as "paintable" and there is no exclusion for 'bed liner paint"?? But I wouldn’t hazard a guess without looking at them.... Is the bed liner really heavy?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Line-X is typically thicker once applied than standard automotive paint I think...if I had to guess...maybe 2 or 3 mm? As for specified allowable coatings or what not...there were none in any instructions or descriptions. The instructions were for installation only...there was nothing on coatings. I just figured it would be not an issue. Apparently, Bushwacker feels differently. I'm also not sure about the Line-X doing anything adversely...I'd suspect that if the coating was more "rigid"...there might not be any warping in the first place. Of course...I can't say for sure. It's just that the comments back from Bushwacker surprised me. I would have never thought Line-X would have voided any warranty. I haven't been able to find any wording in Bushwackers warranty to specify any type of allowable or not allowable coatings. There is no mention of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They did also say they were sending me some sort of retrofit kit...that might help. I have no idea what this kit entails...guess we'll see.
Give us a heads up on how the "retrofit kit" works out for the minor problemo!
Just ordered the FabFour bumbers and BW Flares and planned on spraying Line-X as well.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Maybe you need to have the backside linex to balance the weight. As far as warnings, No manufacturer can foresee everything that a purchaser might do and then extensively test it. Pioneers like you get caught when things don't work out. and maybe no one else would care about a little gap or they would have molded in the flare in the first place.
Hope your retrofit resolves it

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I'm not sure what the problem is but:

The flare should have been totally encapsulated with LINE-X, was it?

LINE-X remains flexible from -40 F to about 220 F with about a 115% elongation capability.

We've sprayed lots of plastic flares including Bushwacker flares and as far as I know, there's never been a problem with warping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts