Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
i didnt know they made illegal ones but check out volant, rbp, afe intakes. they should all work for you

·
Registered
987 Posts
Once you have to start smogging your truck, they will not pass the visual inspection unless it has an Executive Order Number on the intake. You can search here at the California Air Resources Board website. Select air intake and sort by manufacturer:

Database: Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders

I did a search and the only one listed for the 2007-2010 Tundra that has passed C.A.R.B. is the TRD intake. There may be others that are "pending" approval. Tundrajunkie, does yours have an EO number stamped on it?

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Does it really matter??? You dont need a smog inspection for the first 5 yrs anyway. I had an "illegal" or non C.A.R.B approved intake on my old honda with a non-legal header and never got questioned on those before. The intake took air from the left front fender well and the only way to see the filter was to remove the inner fender liner. the only thing in the engine bay was the tube. the header was not legal what so ever because I bought a known offroad only style but they never caught either of the 2 blaring changes. The header had aplacard on it in plain view that said offroad use only.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Does it really matter??? You dont need a smog inspection for the first 5 yrs anyway. I had an "illegal" or non C.A.R.B approved intake on my old honda with a non-legal header and never got questioned on those before. The intake took air from the left front fender well and the only way to see the filter was to remove the inner fender liner. the only thing in the engine bay was the tube. the header was not legal what so ever because I bought a known offroad only style but they never caught either of the 2 blaring changes. The header had aplacard on it in plain view that said offroad use only.
You got lucky, they are getting more and more strict. The folks in the diesel world are freaking out with their mods and having to have their trucks smogged now.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I was lucky indeed! I am/was a smog tech for a few years and know what kinds of hell those guys get when they miss something on a "marked" car/truck and even worse if they get reported by a customer. I did not want to deal with their rules anymore plus the cost of staying licensed was getting rediculus. The good part is I don't need a smog check for another 2 years so I good for now. Besides I still have the stock setup minus the charcoal trap on the uppper housing if I need it.

Off topic:

Are you an OSU alum??? I just noticed your sig.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Good grief...why do you stay in that nutty state? We don't even have inspections in S.C. :D

·
Registered
987 Posts
Off topic:

Are you an OSU alum??? I just noticed your sig.
Unfortunately no, that was my original intent, but it didn't pan out, I ended up going elsewhere. I did grow up there,(in Albany) and have always been an OSU fan, especially when it comes to football.

Are you?

·
Premium Member
953 Posts

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Unfortunately no, that was my original intent, but it didn't pan out, I ended up going elsewhere. I did grow up there,(in Albany) and have always been an OSU fan, especially when it comes to football.

Are you?
That was my school of choice but when I went to file my papers for the airforce ROTC program I found I was too late. I was already a senior in hs and the stuff needed to be done as a junior. I grew up and did all my scholling in Tillamook and Forest Grove. I ended up going to a trade school which worked out better for me in the long run.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts