Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm brand new to the forum, and I had a quick question over something that's been happening lately with my 2007 4.7L 4x4 Tundra (regular cab, base model), 44,000 miles.

When I bring the vehicle to a dead stop, I can feel the vehicle shake for a moment. It doesn't last longer than a second or two at the most and occurs at just about every hard stop. Since the shaking occurs after the vehicle has come to rest, I don't think it has to do with the brakes. I found a couple of similar reports on the internet that attributed it to a bad front engine mount on other vehicles. Has anyone here experienced this or know what might actually be happening when I feel 'the shake'?

Thanks,
Tony

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
You might check the bolts that hold the cab and bed to the frame, Some of the early '07s were shipped with them loose.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Could be the transmission, going back to 1st gear, or the mounting bolts, I vote for #1

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Could be the "bump from behind" issue that people were having with the slip yoke needing to be greased? If you do a search for "bump from behind" I think you will find some info on that. Not sure if it is the same issue or not.
thats my thought....the driveline bump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just took it in to the service department at the Toyota dealer to get looked at and they tell me its due to my brake rotors being warped. The stuttering from braking is so bad that the rubber mounts (?) are not absorbing it all and its transferring into the cabin after I come to a stop. I'm still not positive that explains what I'm feeling. It almost feels more like a rumble from directly beneath me. It's really only one shake and it is perhaps a second or so after I come to a complete stop...I'm still confused on how this could result from my brakes being bad. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
if the rotors are warped u will feel it when u are slowing down. you will feel it in the steering wheel as well, it will shimmy. if its the driveline clunk, it will feel as if a prius just rammed ya when you stop, sometimes right at the stop, sometimes after the stop, sometimes when u get ready to take of....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for being specific with me about what to look for when I stop. The feeling I'm getting is much more like being 'bumped' lightly from a prius than vibrating coming through the steering wheel (although the service manager at Toyota thinks otherwise). I've looked up this 'driveline bump' on other forums and it sounds like getting Toyota to recognize this and do something about it can be quite a hassle.

The funny thing is that they want to do $500 worth of work to my truck without even addressing the real reason that I brought it to them. ($210 for the rotor resurfacing and new brake pads; $130 for a new Serpentine belt; $90 for brake fluid flush; $90 for power steering flush; $30 for rear differential fluid change)...Now I realize that I can probably get each of these things done much cheaper from a local mechanic, but how am I going to get the 'driveline bump' situation resolved? Someone mentioned getting the slip yoke greased earlier...should I recommend this to the people at Toyota or not bother and take it somewhere else?

Thanks,
Tony

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Thanks for being specific with me about what to look for when I stop. The feeling I'm getting is much more like being 'bumped' lightly from a prius than vibrating coming through the steering wheel (although the service manager at Toyota thinks otherwise). I've looked up this 'driveline bump' on other forums and it sounds like getting Toyota to recognize this and do something about it can be quite a hassle.

The funny thing is that they want to do $500 worth of work to my truck without even addressing the real reason that I brought it to them. ($210 for the rotor resurfacing and new brake pads; $130 for a new Serpentine belt; $90 for brake fluid flush; $90 for power steering flush; $30 for rear differential fluid change)...Now I realize that I can probably get each of these things done much cheaper from a local mechanic, but how am I going to get the 'driveline bump' situation resolved? Someone mentioned getting the slip yoke greased earlier...should I recommend this to the people at Toyota or not bother and take it somewhere else?

Thanks,
Tony
Sounds like a typical stealership ripoff. I suggest you take it to another dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts