Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are probably a million threads on this, but I gotta ask. Is it pointless to buy a after market CAI? I have an 06 dc and instead of buying a CAI I bought a TRD air filter instead. Did I save money by doing this and did I pretty much make a CAI by doing this?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Pointless to waste money on a CAI. Leave it stock and you will be happier in the long run.

And next time, since you already stated that there are a million threads on this, just search.

;)

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,536 Posts
I know there are probably a million threads on this, but I gotta ask. Is it pointless to buy a after market CAI?
Yes. The stock air box is already designed as a "cold air intake".

I have an 06 dc and instead of buying a CAI I bought a TRD air filter instead. Did I save money by doing this?
Yes and no. Depends on what conditions you drive your truck.

This is a much larger subject and you would be better served by searching for the terms "air filter", "K&N", "AFE" etc in the Gen-1 forum and reading until the cows come home.

...and did I pretty much make a CAI by doing this?
No. You just swapped filters.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi what you did is just chage the filter. which is a good thing. but a cai, is for top end. if you love to punch it and ride at top end. punch it off the line. than yes, a cai is worth the money. if you decide to add headers, cat back exhaust, & a custom tuned UNICHIP. than again it is worth it. cai are make for top end. i proved it makes more HP.
i have a thread about: stock, stock w/a K&N filter, a K&N cai, & now the VOLANT cai.
many owners have them, they just don't say anything, due to the flack they get.
if you like your engine to be loud, it will also help.
but options are every which way.
it depends on what you want, & what your looking for.
it's you ride, do as you see fit.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really appreciate the feed back and yes it is a diverse and very open subject, I think I am going to stick with TRD Filter for now and sit back and wait on a CAI. Just lookin for some power upgrades that wont break the bank. Really looking into a chip and headers most likely the JBA and also regearing the rear end. Any suggestions on rear end regear?

·
Forum Admin
8,242 Posts
I had a K&N 77 on my 2005 and never really noticed anything good out of it during the 18months I had it on there. I guess my driving style and lack of towing didn't show a need for a CAI. I sold it to a guy on TS who said he tows a lot and it has helped. Then I went to a TRD rechargable drop-in filter and used that for another year or so. That has been pretty good to me, but I took it out last summer for a dry Amsoil EaA nano filter. I'm trying that one out for the same time period and I'll make a decision on whether or not to drop the TRD unit back in there. But so far so good.

The CAI didn't work out for me though.

However, the headers, exhaust, chip and my most recent new mod (currently non-disclosed) have been pretty damn good to me though! :D :cool: lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If ya don't mind me askin, were and how good of a deal can I get a chip for my truck. It is something that has really peaked my interest recently.

·
Registered
917 Posts
hi what you did is just chage the filter. which is a good thing. but a cai, is for top end. if you love to punch it and ride at top end. punch it off the line. than yes, a cai is worth the money. if you decide to add headers, cat back exhaust, & a custom tuned UNICHIP. than again it is worth it. cai are make for top end. i proved it makes more HP.
i have a thread about: stock, stock w/a K&N filter, a K&N cai, & now the VOLANT cai.
many owners have them, they just don't say anything, due to the flack they get.
if you like your engine to be loud, it will also help.
but options are every which way.
it depends on what you want, & what your looking for.
it's you ride, do as you see fit.
good luck,
gorilla
Gorilla everytime there is a thread on CAI you chime in. I know you have done a lot to your truck but you don't have any #'s to back up what your saying. To really know if there are gains from the CAI you would have had to dyno before check both stock air box vs CAI after each mod. Your gains could be from everything else and nothing from you CAI. If you have #'s lets see them I would love to see them.

·
Registered
567 Posts
the only gain i could see with my k&n cai is the sound when wot, and that makes it worth it to me. it did feel like i lost some low end torque and tends to have to downshift earlier when driving down the intersate to get power but it could just be me.

Andrew

·
Forum Admin
8,242 Posts
Gorilla everytime there is a thread on CAI you chime in. I know you have done a lot to your truck but you don't have any #'s to back up what your saying. To really know if there are gains from the CAI you would have had to dyno before check both stock air box vs CAI after each mod. Your gains could be from everything else and nothing from you CAI. If you have #'s lets see them I would love to see them.
it's over a year old, but here it is: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/128642-gorillas-dyno-results-posted/

·
Registered
206 Posts
I really appreciate the feed back and yes it is a diverse and very open subject, I think I am going to stick with TRD Filter for now and sit back and wait on a CAI. Just lookin for some power upgrades that wont break the bank. Really looking into a chip and headers most likely the JBA and also regearing the rear end. Any suggestions on rear end regear?
Since you have a 4x4, you will need to regear both difs

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I think the CAI should be considered more of an accessory than a mod. Much like running boards or bush bars. I have one and I like it. But does it really provide more power? Probably not but I still like how it sounds and how it looks. I think if you look at it like that before buying one you will be happy with what you get. From what I have read here seems like the only serious hp gains come from a supercharger. Much as I would like one, I just dont have the cash for something like that.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, yes i chime in. someone like me that did testing, should.
like i have said before.
i had a ase mechanic take out the K&N cai after a run from zero to top end, & replace it with the stock cai & stock filter brand new filter by the way, and run from zero to top end.

my scanguage2 3.15 showed me the K&N cai at top end gave me if i remember correctly, but it's here somewhere about 10 more HP.

thats my hard data, enough for me. maybe it means nothing to you or other's.
thats o.k. everyone has a opinion.

i know all about the time for the ecu to give it time to adjust ,etc...bla bla bla..did it!

belive me, or not.

if you did a run on the dyno with a stock box, than did a run on the dyno with a K&N cai. you will see it does give you more!

but i did it, & paid the mechanic to do this test not for me, but for everyone here.
and yet i still get the same old story.
so yes, every time, someone ask's i will enlighten them to my finding.

why do you think people have a extra tube/funnel that allows the outside cold air in. because they think it's cool, or do you think it does it's job? humm.....
little by little i continue to see that people here are doing this. i assume, it work's.
i want to do it, but not with a shop vac tube. due to it not being smooth. so i'm going to go with turbo L tubes & straight tubes, to a funnel type. to get more cold air in.

funny thing. my engine temp is usually 184degree's to 186. it used to be from 186 to 188. but i bought a bottle of stuff, that reduces the antifreeze temp. & it did by 2 degree's. to me it was worth it. since i have seen many at or above 190 degree's. i persoanlly never seen 190 not even with everything going, and at a red long light. so i would guess my cai takes in alot of cold air to cool down the motor.

usually even in 100degree weather. and cai temp is about 5 degree's hoter than outside. not bad for a cai.
again my data comes from dyno's & scangauge, & my g-tech RR, oh yah, & from my guage in my tundra dash.:amen:
i hope you have a better idea now.
regards,
gorilla

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
So people say it gains more power, but from what I have seen all it does is just move the torque curve over some into the higher RPM range. It takes away from the low end only to add it at the top end which no one hardly sees while driving, unless you are racing 24/7. To me, not worth it at all. Since most of my driving is stop and go city traffic. Even on the highway it wouldn't be worth it to me, because I don't drive at 4k RPM's on the interstate.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hello, that DYNO sheet is old.
it was before i did the custom tune of my unichip both map's A & B.
&
i belive it was before the removal of the resinator. maybe that doesn't matter.

for map A i can run 87 to 93 octane.

my new dyno results for map A were 264RWHP & 290RWT but it was dyno'ed on 93 octane.
i'm sure with 87 octane it would have been lower.

my new results are 268RWHP & 296RWT on map B! :)
a/f ratio: min was 12.2 ,max was 14.6, & avg was 13.9

now these were my best & the a/f were all with .1 or .2 of each other.

so i run 90% of the time 87 octane, since the difference isn't much.
but when i have set up a run against a gen2 5.7 or any other, i run 93, plus a additive. which is suppose to raise it 1 octane to 94. who know if it really works.

so i would assume, my combo of cai, headers, cat back, no resinator,custom tuned unichip, & 93 octane isn't bad result's for a natural asperated engine, with a few bolt on's. maybe i could produce the same with a stock box & stock filter. but for now i'm done. i have dyno'ed my tundra about 12x so far. more to come when i get my new item.
the reason is simply i hit my limitor's. while the HP & TORQUE was still climbing.

i also posted my g-tech RR result's. best around a curve was .91g's. i know that has to do with a level tundra, and my hellwig front & rear anti sway bar, & my hankook ventus st V-rated tires. that are 6ply X 2ply. at 35psi. but i'm coming up within 6months for new tires so curves are out for now. no noise from the tires either. just whipes around the curve. but i pushed it, i honestly would want to try any more than that.
this is a truck, not a GT-R or vette, etc...
am i satisfied, yes.:attention:
gorilla

I have seen that. It is impressive. But that is all of his mods combine. I would like to see a stock truck with a CAI dyno run. That seems to be the first mod people want to do.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, most people here didn't have dyno'ed there tundra after each mod.
some have dyno'ed it stock and the results were 210rwhp.
but for anyone to dyno for each mod, as they do it, would be very costly.
& who would that be for?
if you want, make up a pool of donations. for a guy here. that is going to spend his money, and do all the mod's,
starting from a stock tundra. i wouldn't mind, donating. this way all doubter's would know what each mod give's. but as we all know, maybe some don't. every tundra will have a different result. not all will dyno stock at 210, some more & some less. but i'd be more than willing to help with the cost of the dyno'ing. after each mod. but the owner must go all the way up to what i have.
most dyno run's cost approximatly $100.
stock-$100
cai-100,
cai & headers-$100,
cai, headers & cat back exhaust-$100,
cai, headers, cat back exhaust & cookie cutter unichip-$100,
cai, headers, cat back exhaust, & custom tuned unichip-$100
thats $600 plus all the driving & gas to & from the shop. most people don't have a dyno shop around the corner.
also it depends on the dyno used.
gorilla

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well thats a lot to take in form Gorilla and everyone else that is for sure. I dont race my tundra, I have a 4x4 and it's liftes 3" there is no reason for me to race it. I just wanna get it to were I can have the same amount and even more hp and trq. out of my truck since I do a lot of off roading. The whole CAI seems to be a hit or miss and what it is you are trying to achieve. I really wanna get it chipped and headers. Then leave it at that and just drive it for 600k miles. LMFAO Do yall have anyon line sites to were I could find a good deal on a chip prefferably a plug n play. Once again I really appreciate everyones input, it helps me out alot and also helps me learn something. Always like to learn something new and always like to get more info on stuff I know a little about.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I played with a K&N CAI to see what it does in different situations, overall for daily driving it is better to run the stock airbox. This is strictly opinion for now, I would much rather have torque where I can use it than a slight horsepower gain where I rarely see it. Yes, the K&N SEEMED to help at wide open throttle on the freeway, but the trade off for me wasn't worth $300. For $80 more I got headers and am still itching to put them on.

I am working on a little something to help add more than butt dyno to this topic, it has been put off due to rain storms here but I'll get back to it soon. In the meantime to answer the original post questions, the TRD filter is slightly less restrictive than the paper filter. You must understand that it does not filter as well as the paper filter as a trade off for the restriction. I ran a K&N filter, wasn't too impressed with the filtering and didn't feel any positive horsepower.

Cold air intake....

Hot air intake...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts