Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hi,

Is it worth the money to have a cai, if so which one would you recomend?

Thanks,
BT
Nobody on TS has a CAI, that is why you couldn't find any info when you searched.

-Tim

·
Registered
918 Posts
In my opinion, no, not in the absence of any other substantial modifications. I had a Volant and a K&N on my 04 Dakota. I didn't feel either did anything substantial. If anything, with the K&N, my truck got kind of 'sluggish' at low speed/low rpm situations but pulled just a bit harder when already at highway speeds. Went to a volant. I wouldn't say it made a big improvement, it just got me back some of what the K&N took away.

When I look under the hood of my 5.7 crewmax the air intake system looks pretty mammoth as is. Advertised improvements for aftermarket setups are usually under highly controlled conditions set up with optimal air temps and optimal exposure of the intake to fresh, flowing air. Whether they come close to replicating real world results is a crapshoot. You may find some small tangible improvement at highway speeds when the airflow towards the intake is accelerated, but that's about it.

There will be a Corsa Sport going on my Crewmax at some point mainly for sound but I will probably never bother with an intake.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Intakes are like exhaust, IMHO. You pick one that suits your needs based on their sound and cool factor. Any performance gains that you get from them are welcomed and considered "bonuses"

-Tim

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
All gen-2 Tundras have a cold air intake. Just take a look - does it suck air from the fender? Replace the factory air cleaner with the aFE Pro Dry S from Autoanything.com and you'll never have to replace it again. (Its permanant and can be washed). Remove the charcoal filter at the top of the air box too. It gives me more of a growl that stock and ~1.5 mpg and ~1.5 hp. Good luck

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for all the infs, I will go with K and N drop in filter and remove the charcoal filter as well.

BT
Read above DO NOT got with oiled filters like the k and n. They can damage your mass air flow sensor and it will void warranty. Get a dry filter.

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
Thanks for all the infs, I will go with K and N drop in filter and remove the charcoal filter as well.

BT
Noooooooooooooooo!!!! Get the aFe or any other oil-less filter. Easier to maintain and you don't gotta buy the extra oil and stuff to clean it. :)

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Get the Volant. Or the AFE. Or the AEM Brute Force. Or the K&N... wait, not the K&N!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Why do you guys bash the KN so much...I've had several K&N intakes on my vehicles and they have all been great! They make solid gains in power and have NEVER messed up any MAF in any car I've had them on.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
^^^ Only cause the results I've seen show that the oiled-gauze filters don't filter as well as the paper filters. I'm not an expert... that's just what I've seen online. I could be wrong, but I haven't see anything else to contradict it.

Like I said in another thread: If the air-flow & performance results are the same, it doesn't make sense to get a filter that filters less effectively.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
I went with the AfE dry CAI. It did feel a little snappier, but that was probably wishful thinking LOL..... It does sound a LOT better though. Then I put the Proforce exhaust on. The truck is fairly quiet until you give it a little gas. When you are WOT and the exhaust AND cai are screaming, it is such a beautiful, yet mean sound :D

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The only issue you will have with filters/oil is if you over oil it or don't let it dry long enough when you re-oil it. You think K&N would still be in business if every product they sold ruined a MAF?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts